challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 4:07 AM

Grizzley Fred....  welcome back.

your plein air is beautiful   I envy you being able to sit in such a beautiful place and listen to nature and just paint....  Your colors are rich and clear it appears you captured the essence of where you were.  congratulations for your prize.

Artist Daily is kinda like a family,  you can be gone awhile and come back home and the welcome mat is always out.  Now with the holidays upon us, its time for our wayward family to join in some of the festivities....    welcome home....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 5:03 AM

Sam.. I measured the sides of the painting top and then bottom and they are both the same size across. I think using my cellphone and having the picture laying on top of something on the table caused it to appear odd sized.

Geri... I did some measuring  on the painting and the right side of the opening of the pot is actually drawn lower than the left side. I'm going to add some shadow to the left side at the bottom of the pot and carefully add some root growing over the top left side of the pot to distract from the difference in height. I really don't like parlor tricks to correct mistakes but now that I see the problem it's going to make me crazy every time I look at it. I'm going to mix up some more of the blue color and darken the window woodwork on the left side to try to take away the washed out look.  Along with adding more shadows to the leaves and stems. I keep thinking that I should also define a back edge  line of the table and put in the back table leg too. Thank you Geri for your advice. I'll post another picture of the corrections later on today.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 5:19 AM

Marsha..I recieved your email with your address and replied back with mine. Did you recive the email ok? I did a couple three sketches of ideas for a Christmas card yesterday. Thank you for asking me to share Christmas pictures with you :) As soon as I get the techincal problems done on my orchid painting I am going to start on the painting for my card. I'm starting to understand the value in doing predrawings before an actual painting is started. It's a lot easier to draw it out a couple of times rather than go back in and try to correct mistakes on a watercolor painting.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 5:49 AM

Thank you so much Jen! Yes, I had the painting laying on top of things on my kitchen table and used my cell phone to take the picture.The plant is leaning so I think I just seemed to continue that line of vision into the lines of the pot. I also was lazy and just eyeballed the layout instead  putting in my eyelevel lines etc. before I stated the painting . My kitchen has turned into my studio and I really need some work space to do my art. I have a whole second floor loft that is sitting empty and it would be a great space to use as a studio.  I was diagnosed with both Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthrits about 7 years ago so I sold my two story house and bought this little one story house so I wouldn't have to deal with stairs.  I had to start using a cane full time about a year ago but over this summer I've been able to get around pretty well using it only sometimes. Maybe now I can set up that empty second floor room. I was only 51 when I was diagnosed and don't plan on becoming a basket case before I'm 60! Maybe I could have a backup area on the first floor for the days when I'm not up to dealing with climbing the stairs.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 11 Nov 2012 6:02 AM

Dave, Kudos to you for painting outdoors and completing a painting in one day.  I've done some Plein Air oil painting here in Florida and found it be be more difficult than expected.  One of the big problems was bugs settling in the paints.  The other was the constant changing light.  I learned to study the scene carefully as I began because shadows changed constantly. 

Congratulations on the 3rd place ribbon.  This fall scene surely deserved it.  One really gets the feel of the water rushing over those rocks.  You did a good job with the rocks - all varied sizes and shapes.  The fall foliage looks great and so does the grass.  Very nice Georgia fall landscape.

My hubby and I did some hiking in the New England mountains and crossed many rock crossings like this one.  We were wearing backpacks and hopping from one slippery rock to another was very challenging.  We loosened our backpacks so that if we should fall they wouldn't weigh us down.  As a result, the packs were bouncing around on our backs, making the crossing even more challenging.  Your painting brought back memories.

Dave, we love to see your beautiful art.  Please don't hesitate to post your paintings.  Your comments on our work are welcome but not necessary.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 12:56 PM
Dave, congratulations on your third place win! what a beautiful place to paint and you are a fast worker! Plein air is not easy, as Sammy says, what with all the options in front of you and the decisions you have to make on what to leave out, move and adjust as well as that ever changing light. you have done a brilliant job and you can feel the water rushing and bubbling past those rocks. Looks like a gorgeous Fall day. Well done! Don't ever feel bad about being gone ,I often am too, but as Marsha says we are like family and there is always a welcome when you return. We all have lives and things get in the way so just post when you can.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 11 Nov 2012 5:51 PM

Fred, "hear, hear"" to your sentiments! On another note, have you ever considered going to snapfish.com or a similar site and making an illustrated book of Bennie's adventures?

Marsha, GREAT rhinos. Love the drawing and the coloring! So cool.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 10:51 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Nov 2012 10:57 PM

Potted orchid after corrections to shadows. My late father was a mechanical engineer and draftsman. I'm sure he's rolled in his grave over the insane perspective of this table. I was going to put in a second leg but the table angle is so off that there is no way, at least I can't figure it out, that a reasonable looking  leg could be put in. I will scan it Tuesday and post it "as is" in the member's gallery.  My bad on this one.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 1:52 AM

Catherine your orchid is great,  everyone has given you good advice and you solved the problems it look remarkable. 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 2:01 AM

Well I've been in a mood......

so here is my new piece.   Colored Pencil.   9x12 on Stonehenge creme

Titled "DEEP"      one eye is recessed for a reason.   

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 5:04 AM

Warm seasons greetings to everyone!

Sincerely sorry to be away for so long - busier than I'd hoped to be (family, science, music, art, etc.).

I've received kind notes from Sam and Marsha - much appreciated.

Beautiful artworks springing up here - great variety and appeal.

Most recently I've been doing a fair amount of plein air engraving, chasing, and repousse on 4x6" sheets of copper.

Here's a copper banded butterfly done at the CA Academy of Sciences - engraved from life, then chased, repoussed, and patinaed at home:

Marsha kindly asked about my music - classically trained in reeds, brass, piano/theory/composition, then took up a variety of other instruments and have played and composed for a long time - mostly jazz and new music for the past 40 years or so.

Here are a few YouTube videos which include art and music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4n22B__fM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUKYcZ9xgNI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJy23-bHNkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnBmahb6qxU

I'll check in more often.

Keep up the wonderful work everyone.

Fondly, Bob

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 6:06 AM

This is great Marsha! Did you create this idea or was it from a cast? I like the contrast between the softness of the colored area and the hardness of the stone.

Yes, I really appreciate the advice I've gotten here. This is a great forum.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,065
bernof wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 10:29 AM

Thank you Alex for your comments and interest, I have published 3 books about my bears and am working on this Bears Mission to Mars if you would like to review my previous books use this link www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2250919

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,065
bernof wrote
on 12 Nov 2012 10:29 AM

Thank you Alex for your comments and interest, I have published 3 books about my bears and am working on this Bears Mission to Mars if you would like to review my previous books use this link www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2250919

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Page 85 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  83 84 85 86 87  Next >  ... Last » | RSS