challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Nov 2012 7:40 PM

Catherine don't worry about it.  You weren't the first and you won't be the last to mistake my gender by my name.  I don't even pay attention to it any more.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 1 Nov 2012 8:57 PM

Hi Marsha and Joyce Lydia,

Some thoughts on pastels from a novice. Holbein oil pastels are my weapon of choice and my favorite medium. For one thing, they are very forgiving. I use them in combination - both "straight" and with a brush and Turpenoid,, which gives a  soft, blended watercolor effect. They ARE messy, but Dick Blickk sells finger cots that you can wear while working and then just discard. Here is a small oil pastel (4" x 4") I did as a baby gift a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how the colors will look on your screen - they look washed out on mine, but are actually rich and vibrant.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Nov 2012 11:02 PM

Alex the colors are really rich and vibrant.  Thank you for the great input as well regarding the Holbein pastels.  I genuinely love the little piece you did.  it is darling... you are so talented..

Fred: Thank you for your answer regarding your technique

SAM:  Thank you for for recognizing my better than late entry.   but was it the Waterfall or the Horse.  

Catherine:  I love your cute little dog.   how adorable is that little drawing.... it really tells its own story.... toooo cute.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 7:59 AM

Thank you Marsha. She is a sweetheart and a bounty of gesture drawings waiting to happen.

Alex... I really love the little 4x4 of the child. The colors are so warm yet strong. I read  that you use something call Turpenoid. Is this something that has to be used outside?

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 8:01 AM

Thanks Geri. I appreciate your kindness.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 2 Nov 2012 8:46 AM

Hi Catherine,

Weber has Turpenoid and Turpenoid Natural. Turpenoid must be used with adequate ventilation. I just purchased Turpenoid Natural (nontoxic and nonflammable) to try it. Although the bottle does not call for ventilation, I plan to go to the Weber website listed on the container to read more about using it.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 6:23 PM

SAM:  do you still have the perspective and composition forum going on?  I know you told me one time to check it out and today I was perusing and didn't find a current one going on. 

What other forums are you involved with?

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 2 Nov 2012 7:21 PM

Alex, ahhh, yes, I remember this little gem.  You are so liberal with color and it is delightful.  I love the strong change in color and value as you move from light to shadow on his clothing, his face and the dinosaur.  The violet cast shadows are so nice.  Didn't you do another one of the dinosaur?

Marsha, the late painting that you posted in Challenge #23 is the waterfall.  I hope everybody went back there to see it since it is so well done. 

I haven't been doing any design and composition tutorials recently.  I believe that Artist Daily has one on perspective. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 2 Nov 2012 7:43 PM

Marsha, if you go to the "home" page for All Media Photo Challenge (lists all of this forum's threads), then move to the bottom of the page, you'll see that there are four pages. Go to page three. You'll see several threads entitled "Principles of ..." These threads contained the wonderful lessons Sam taught us. Because I've never had formal art training and only drew two or three pictures a decade during my career, these lessons were eye-opening and extremely valuable.

Alex

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 7:13 AM

Thanks Alexandra for your thoughts on pastels, I'm going to buy hard pastels I already have the soft just waiting for a sell or when I get over to the states.   Love your little boy picture. 

Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Nov 2012 2:38 PM

Caroline has posted some new work on Challenge #23.  Don't miss it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 9:25 PM

Well last month I posted JENS CHALLENGE as a joke.  I got to thinking about it and thought I would give it a try.  Jen had said how hard it was to paint ellipses and eggs.  If you think ellipses are hard try painting spirals in them.  In any case the burners had to go.  The next challenge was to paint a square painting.  This being hard to compose  a picture on so why not see what I could do.  The next challenge was to use acrylic paints.  I had not used them since we studied Pop Art in college except to paint some of my wood carvings.  It turned out to be a painting g I wouldn't necessarily wont on my wall but it was fun. So here it is 12 x 12 on stretched canvas.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Nov 2012 5:22 AM

Geri, just on time for breakfast.  The bacon looks fantastic and the frying pan looks old and well used.  I love it.  You did well with the eggs shapes and colors.  A shadow under them would anchor or ground them.  Interesting experiment.  You handle those acrylic quite well. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 8:31 AM

Thank you Sam.  I spent moire time on this than I had planed.  I wanted to put the burners on it too but boy that was more than this old boy could handle.  I also had a spoon rest in there.  I could not get it to lay down.  It looked like a green tombstone sticking up.  Its a good thing acrylics are not too trans parent.

There is more shadow around the eggs than shows up in the picture.  You are right though they need more.  Well I guess I get the paints out again.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 4 Nov 2012 11:22 AM

Hi Geri,

Uh-oh. I LOVE squares! Seriously, though, the bacon and the pan are very successful, but perhaps in the next iteration you could tie the egs to the pan by moving them closer (this is advice from a NONprofessional!). Now, don't laugh, but I especially like the way you portrayed the handle with its highlights. A friend of mine who pained a frying pan had her grandson say about the handle, "So ... Grandma, what is that blob there?"

Alex

Page 79 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  77 78 79 80 81  Next >  ... Last » | RSS