challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,580
Points 25,360
Berkenstock wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 3:22 PM

I see your bear is into nude;)  You have some imagination Fred.  Very entertaining.  Keep up the good work.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,580
Points 25,360
Berkenstock wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 3:29 PM

Well all you CP people out there I need some help.  I did this drawing using black & white colored pencils   Where the white and black come together in the shading I got a gray flat area.  Is there anyway that I can avoid that or just learn to deal with it???

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Oct 2012 4:25 PM

Well, Fred, those bears look like they are settled in and content on the red planet.  I'm glad to see that at least one of them is an artist.  Obviously, this scene is backlit since the shadows are coming forward.  I like the shadow of the little tree.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Oct 2012 4:27 PM

Geri, good idea to do tomatoes on red paper - really bright red paper.  They look good.  You will always get gray when you mix white with black.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,580
Points 25,360
Berkenstock wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 4:49 PM

Sam I found that out.There just seems like there should be a way to make the transition fro a bright highlight to  deep shadow that didn't leave a dull gray.  By the way the paper is Canson and the color is TOMATO.  Pretty much a no brainier on that one..The size is 9x12 

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 5:11 PM

Fred- Another nice painting. Now that they are probably the only group living on Mars, they have time to do arts. The Bears look good and well fed so maybe the turtles are delicious. Nice over all colors.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 5:16 PM

Geri- Nice start on the tomatoes and clever of you to use red paper for it. I am not a CP user but I am wondering why can't you use other color such as violet to make shady area if you don't like mixing white and black. Three colors are still considered limited palette as well if that is your concern.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,735
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 7:09 PM
Fred: love this Mars series of yours. The bears seem to be thriving and I expect the whole planet will be thriving in short order now they have found water. So glad they have found time for some art too!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,580
Points 25,360
Berkenstock wrote
on 17 Oct 2012 7:59 PM

Sandi I was doing the drawing that way to challenge myself.  The paper  was to be the mid-tone black the shadow and white the highlights.DeVenci drew like this allot.  I'm no DeVenci but I like the look and the challenge.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 17 Oct 2012 11:47 PM

Geri, I have completed several colored pencil paintings using just a white pencil. It takes some practice to think backward. You must use a lot of pressure for the light areas and light pressure for the darker areas. In some instances, you barely touch the paper with the white pencil. Using that method, you would have to form the shadows by putting white around them. Here are a few examples.

This is a self portrait using only white pencil on black Canson Mi-Tientes.  In a few areas, I tried to make corrections using black over white and got the same gray you got.

This is my mother and father using white pencil on Canson Mi-Tientes tobacco paper.  When doing this type of work it helps to find reference photos with strong contrast.  Notice that the white pencil doesn't look as white but takes on some of the color of the brown paper.  It looks a little more yellowish than the one above.

This is my mother on her wedding day in 1928.  It is a very light pink pencil called Seashell Pink on Mi-Tientes burgundy paper.  On this one, I wanted her to cast a shadow so I dusted some light pink around the shadow.  To dust, I rubbed a light pink soft pastel on coarse sandpaper and used a soft brush to apply the resulting powder to the paper.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,580
Points 25,360
Berkenstock wrote
on 18 Oct 2012 1:51 PM

Sam thank you for the advice.  I believe what you say about thinking in reverse.  I tried a scrachboard drawing several years ago with limited success.  Now you have me wanting to try just white.

Your pictures are incredible.  I had to print out the little white on black and white one so I could study it better.  The texture in her hat and coat is beautifully done.  I don't know if I will ever be able to see such detail might less duplicate it.  Her right cheek is unbelievable.  There is a cheek but there isn't .  I would have to set on both my hands to keep from putting a hard line there.I know that learning to see instead off just looking is the first step and I am having trouble with that.  Another problem was I started out in a hurry and drawing like it was with graphite pencil and it is difference.  I started wit the middle tomato and I got in trouble pretty quick.  The rest of the drawing though not perfect I is better at least to me.  Thank you for your input and I am envious of your talent.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 19 Oct 2012 3:26 PM

Sam,I agree with Geri your portraits ars outstanding. I 'm trying to capture some of the fall colors in this Cabin by the Lake on 140# Arches CP  11x14

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 21 Oct 2012 1:00 PM

Hi all Another in my Mars series. A large metalalic rock emiting a bright glow sufaces from the lake [ Sam's lake ] the water gusher created and the bears test it for a possible power source

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 21 Oct 2012 1:44 PM

Fred, you did capture the colors of fall.  Love the yellows and oranges.

The bears are modernizing Mars!!!  They have wheels, a home and now the possibility of electrical power!!!  Wow!!!  They certainly are industrious and clever bears. 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 115
szechy wrote
on 21 Oct 2012 2:53 PM

I found so many great artists and art works  on this web site!  I would like to invite you to see our last exhibition opening video and opportunities in 2013.

Library Thoughts 2, AIR/HMC, 9 X 12, MAVF, Budapest exhibition opening short video:  http://youtu.be/Xt4cVZxpXl4

Call for artists: International Artist Residencies & Exhibition, Budapest 2013.  

Our program is open for 2013!  

We do early jury selections on the third weekend of each month.  Apply early!

HMC International Artist Residency Program, a not-for-profit arts organization based in Dallas, TX/Budapest, provides national and international artists with the opportunity to produce new work while engaging with the arts community in Budapest, Hungary.

"Artist residencies allow the time for dialogue and create connections that contribute to the future.."

E-mail address: bszechy@yahoo.com

Discipline:  visual artists, writers, performers

Offered program: residency, seminar, artist talk, exhibition, Galleries & Museum Tour,.

Eligibility: International emerging artists

Please visit our website for more information and application form.

http://www.hungarian-multicultural-center.com/id93.html

The HMC is an artist run, non-profit, multi-disciplinary arts organization dedicated to excellence, experimentation, and education in all forms of contemporary art and culture.  The AIR/HMC, Budapest mission is to bridge cultural, geographic, and linguistic divides by bringing people together through the arts in order to foster a greater understanding of world cultures. 

Page 73 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  71 72 73 74 75  Next >  ... Last » | RSS