challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,814
Points 46,840
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Oct 2012 5:34 PM

Judy, this is a really good job epecially for a first time with pastels. love his expression. lots of advice on legs so I have nothing to add!

Fred, you are one busy bea. Those bears are way ahead of their time up there on Mars, then building houses on earth they are as busy as you. Love it! Nice job on the church and landscape too.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 10 Oct 2012 7:00 PM

Judy:   I love your Takoda,   what a beautiful dog.  you captured the light,  his happy eyes and healthy fur.  The background and grass are amazing.   I agree with Sammy on the hind leg.  I just plain like it. I've never done pastels I'm probably afraid of them.... hmmm.  I kept a bed in my daughters room, but only in hopes she would come back "to visit"...

Fred:  when curiosity found the gusher, did if fill an ocean?   is that really an ocean of water on the red planet?    if so I will get my next ticket to get there.....   save me a reservation.

Kristina:  congrats...  When you get in there,  light a candle, put on some great music and dive into art....  looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sam:  How is the portrait coming along?   I just found that extra picture you sent me of Hayden with the red scarf...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 10 Oct 2012 7:01 PM

Fred:  by the way the church is fantastic in your painting.... 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 10 Oct 2012 10:46 PM

Fred nice church.  I saw that too on the pen & ink form in wet canvas and if I find time I will try and get it done  and entered.  We will see.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 11 Oct 2012 9:10 AM

OMG, Fred, I almost missed your church painting.  The sky is warm and beautiful.  I like it reflecting in the water and somewhat on the land.  The church is very well done.  I think the land is more tight than your ususal landscapes, possibly due to the felt pens.  Thanks for sharing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 11 Oct 2012 1:16 PM

Fred- Love your church's painting. It's neat, clean and precise. I'd like to add a suggestion. If this is my serious painting and I want to send it to an exhibition, I would crop half of the sky off from the top. Even though I love your sky a lot  and it has great color but  right now it makes the picture cut in half. The top part is the strong color sky, the bottom half is the soft color foreground. If you want to keep the sky in tact, then we need to tie the two parts together by adding more sky reflection on the landscape in the foreground maybe at the back of the church building and put more sky color on the water close to the horizon, decreasing the color until it reaches the foreground.

I hope you are not offended by my suggestion and feel free to just smile and ignore it. This is your painting, you can do whatever you want. I have already said that "If it is my painting..." and  I still love to see more of your paintings,

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 9:28 AM

Fred your church picture is nice the colours are wonderful.  Your paining is easy to look at, cute.  Here is a picture that Susan and I did as a challenge.  This is the church we both when to as children.  I think someday I am going to re-do it as it isn't very good.   I'm susre I posted this before but that is ok. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 9:33 AM

Morning everyone, I have been working on this for a while now over two weeks.  I thought I would post for some cc's what is wrong so I can fix the card up before I send it out to a freind.  Thanks everyone for all you help.  I'm using watercolours for this one the gray things at the bottom are (should be) rocks.  lol

Joyce

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 12:53 PM

Joyce you have a good start on your watercolor.  The main problem that I can see is that your sky and the trees are the same value and the trees get lost.  You  need to darken the sky or the trees to solve that problem.  Also a little bit of green in the water to show some reflection of the trees in the water would help too.  Water colors are not like painting with other mediums they have a mind of their own and you kind know how to suggest how you want them to go and don't force it.  If you go to youtube and search watercolor there is several demos that might help you understand how watercolors  work. I am by no means a good watercolorist and I am still learning and I have a long way to go youtube has helped me. Good luck with your painting..

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 3:19 PM

Thank you Sandi,Those are excellent suggestions and I do appreciate your critique and agree with you 100% ,please continue to apprise my work,

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 3:24 PM

Hi Joyce I really like your church painting it has a spiritual look about it

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 4:06 PM

Hello Joyce,  I have a question is this painting of a lake or a stream?    you have a good start,  your rocks have a great beginning,  the trees on the left have the right technique, yet I feel the one that is the farthest away should be a smaller trunk size to depict distance.  If this is a lake , the trees on the farther side could be much smaller to depict even more distance.  by adding darks into the under brush across the lake will add depth,  and don't forget to put in your shadows of your trees from your light source.  right now it looks as though the light is coming from the left front due to the light on the rocks.  just like you added the dark on the back of the rocks do the same with the tree and the grass around the left bank.  you might think about adding some branches to the trees as well to give some more interest, but you can do that toward the end after you finish your trees and shrubs on the far side of the water.  don't forget to leave white in the water and add a dark line on the far side of the water shore.  the tree on the left will be the only one reflecting shadow on the water due to the light.  use a light puddle of cobalt blue for your shadows on the grass.  and add taller grass toward the front of the painting.    I see you use FROG tape,  I love that stuff.  mingle some paint on the lighter trees to make them stand out some more and make the farther one darker to push it back.  I like the colors you have chosen.   I hope I haven't said to much.  If I have said to much please tell me.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 7:37 PM

Joyce- I remember your nice church's painting. For the card painting you have received very good suggestions and I agree with all those who provided them. I like to add that if this was my painting I would add other colors to balance out the green colors  that appear all over the image, such as pink, yellow, purple. These colors don't have to be on a lots of big items, maybe just a few spots of wild flowers or pieces of rocks or gravels. Just a thought.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 12 Oct 2012 8:48 PM

Joyce - I agree with everyone who gave you very valuable suggestions....so I won't repeat them......Whenever I am going to do something in color, I do it in a single color 1st.  The most important thing I keep in my mind as I am developing the picture is where the light is coming from.  Then I know where the shadows & dark aspects of the picture belong.  Then I do the picture in color.  This may be a lame process, but it's what works for me.....

Which direction is your light coming from?

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 13 Oct 2012 3:06 PM

WOW so much advice, I am going to have to really re-think my painting.  Thanks I love all the help and each of you have helped a lot.

Joyce

Page 71 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  69 70 71 72 73  Next >  ... Last » | RSS