challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 5 Oct 2012 7:07 PM

Jen, I remember this painting and love it.  Great skin tones, eyes and hair.  It's an excellent pose.

The more I look at my photos, I think that Marsha is right about the charm and emotional aspect of the two cousins together.  I'm still thinking and will consider putting her fist under her chin.  Or I may need to find another photo.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 2:12 PM

I decided to try soft pastels & this is what I ended up with - not totally dissatisfied, but had a really hard time with this medium

I used Pitt Pastels & didn't have a lot of colors - I probably should have started with a simpler subject

I had the painting pretty much where I wanted it, but then sprayed it with fixative that said it was for pastels, but it darkened & flattened the whole picture!  So then I went over it, but it wouldn't take very much more pastel as the tooth was pretty much used up.......

This is my daughter's dog Takoda - she got him from a dog rescue as a puppy - we thought we were getting an Australian Sheppard mix, but ended up with so much more - he is a terrific companion & she has brought him for training in tracking which he loves.......

Judy   C&C appreciated

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 3:22 PM

Great job on Takoda Judy, Read about Curiosity taking soil samples and this came to mind 11x14 Arches CP paper I call it Bears find Curiosity and Water?

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 4:53 PM

Judy - Takoda is one pretty dog and I think it's good. I've been afraid to try pastels as I am afraid of "smearing" the work.

Fred - I love those bears and once again they travel so far from home.

Got some great news today - we will get to move into the new house in 2-3 weeks. I will finally get my art space!!!

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 6:49 PM

Love how industrious your bears are!  Even in space!!!  So do the bears ever work with the aliens???  Nice job Fred!

Judy   C&C appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 6:52 PM

Christina - You must be so excited to move into a new home with some personal creative space!  I am so happy for you.  My daughter just moved out in September - & I took over her bedroom as my art space - it is so great - although I still keep a bed in there, just in case :)

Judy   C&C appreciated

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Pepperdink wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 7:43 PM

To jatravis....I really love the movement you have in the portrait of Takoda, sure wish that my drawings, etc.

could have the sense of life that you show in your work! I can't tell from the small screen on my computer

that the picture looks flat....it really looks great to me, it seems that fixative can make pasels look flatter though.

Carol

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 8:12 PM

Carol - Thank you for your compliments on the picture of Takoda - I spent many years (I won't tell you how long!) just drawing with graphite pencils because I didn't have the time nor the $ to spend on this wonderful expression of what I see that connects us all.  Then my daughter surprised me a few years ago (while she was stationed in Kabul, Afganistan) with an easel & gift certificate for art supplies.  I was floored!  But gladly jumped into it!  I've been getting art gift certificates for gifts ever since!

I think all that drawing is paying off as I transfer what I learned using pencils to these other media - Learning shadowing/form in pencil first I think is such a great asset.  I hope you keep trying - try some of the pictures from the monthly challenges - the group of people are really friendly & want to help each other become better artists - - -

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,524
Points 24,450
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 9:22 PM

Judy I know what you mean about the bed.  I have to take a nap once in awhile myselfWink

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 9 Oct 2012 3:59 PM

Judy, I increased the size of Takoda's portrait to get a good look and was quite impressed with the good coloring you achieved with few pastels.  You definitely captured the strong sunlight and the sense of motion.  I wonder if the hind thigh on our right might be too thin and if the shadow could be larger?  The suggestion of foliage in the background is very good as is the grass.  This is an excellent first try with soft pastels.  Many artist will not spray pastel paintings due to color change.

Fred, so the bears uncovered a gusher on Mars.  That is one fabulous discovery.  It seems that the red dust of Mars has penetrated their fur and now they blend right in with the red planet.  You have quite an imagination and it's fun to see what you will come up with next.

Kristina, it's so exciting to be moving into your own home and have space for arts and crafts.  We eagerly await seeing your creations and wish you much happiness in your new home.       

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Oct 2012 6:18 PM

Judy- Your dog looks good as well as the background and foreground. I like his face too and his hair looks real good. I agree with Sammy that the hind leg on the right is too small but I think his position is rather difficult to get everything right. You play with the light really well too.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Oct 2012 6:21 PM

Fred-  Love to see the Bears traveling again. It must be very hot on Mars since everything turns red including the Bear's furs. Love your imagination.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Oct 2012 6:25 PM

Kristina, Congratulations!- This is really good news. They are getting it done earlier than expected. Woo.. Hoo..You guys must be ecstatic . I remember my first home and how happy we were when it got done. Enjoy your new home.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 10 Oct 2012 10:39 AM

Thank y'all for your comments about the bears on mars I'm thinking of starting the first colony on mars,might be fun anyone care to join in ? Now

Wet Canvas Oct Pen @ Ink project ,colored pens. felt pens and a w/c wash for sky and water 11x9 0n 140# CP paper
Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 10 Oct 2012 4:45 PM

Geri - Nice to know I'm not theonly one who needs to nap now & then Stick out tongue

Sam & Sandi- You have such a wonderful eye!  Takoda's left hind thigh is too thin - I think my intention was to add some "furriness" on the top side, but then forgot - do you think it's old age?Ick!

Fred - Good job on your pen & ink painting - you got the depths of the cliffs & I like how you used your values - I especially like how you faded the shoreline giving the impression of waves hitting the shore & the movement in the sky

Judy   C&C appreciated

Page 70 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  68 69 70 71 72  Next >  ... Last » | RSS