challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,530
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 4:46 PM

Well I am glad that Holly is feeling well enough to host this month but I am kind of disappointed too.Sad  I had this photo to put in the challenge for Jen because I know how much she likes doing ellipses and eggsBig Smile

I call it Jens challenge 

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 4:56 PM
Geri you are such a sweetie to find a challenge just for me. How kind to enable me to practice eggs and elipses with a pound of bacon to go with them!!! I I am so devestated that I may not be able to get them done as I am off to the grandkids middle of the month and won't be home until just before the elections. ( another can of worms with elipses to go with the eggs) but oh how thoughtful of you!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 5:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for your kind welcome back - - I just hope I can stay with it now.  You can bet that these past several months have not been what I envisioned for my first months of retirement.

Fred - that sky is just dynamic. I'm going to have to try that credit card trick - - I have a painting I want to do that has some good rocks to try it out!

Judy -Your charcoal portait of Steve's Daughter is fantastic - - I used to do a lot of work in charcoal but haven't even touched it in years - don't know why I got away from them.  I love those eyes and that sweet smile - you did her hair so well.  There are several programs for resizing photos.  When I have a chance sometime tomorrow, I will send you a link to the one I use - - and best of all - IT'S FREE!

Geri - You are so mean Devil to Jen!  I think I have gotten her a few times with elipses, too - - and she used to hate flowers, too - - but she does them really well!  I think this photo is so mean, in fact, I am going right over to the challenge and add this one to it!~!!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 5:07 PM

Ah, Jen - you and I cross posted !!  I was hoping I could sneak it into the challenge before you saw Geri's post. Oh well - hope you have a wonderful visit with the Grands - - sounds like you will be there for the "spooky night".  But be sure to get back in time to VOTE!!!

Geri - I'll just leave this one here for now - - maybe we can sneak it into another challenge for when Jen will have time to work on it.

Holly

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 6:21 PM
Holly I was so glad to see you back that I didn't complain about the deluge of flowers in this months challenge, but then you gang up with Geri! No fair!! I don't know why everyone picks on me I am nice to everyone. It's the same in my art group and everywhere. Oh well as long as you stay with us I guess I will put up with it:)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 6:26 PM
Kristina, good to hear from you again. Building a new house always costs more that you think but it sounds like it will be safe a snug when it is finished. I looked for videos for the deaf but could not find any online. A lot of the videos can just be followed along quite well though. I am glad your MIL has given in about the CP's as they are not messy or toxic. Hope you can get a few done in between getting the house ready.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,992
Points 50,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 6:28 PM
Fred, gorgeous sky and those rocks are great! JUDY, lovely drawing of the little girl. You have slot of talent!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 1 Oct 2012 7:21 PM

Judy, this portrait in charcoal is a little gem.  What a great smile and gorgeous nose, month and chin.  Some sparkle in her eyes would add a lot.  Darker pupils with whiter highlights.  I once read that often photos are taken with flash or bright lights and the pupils contract into small little dark areas and that, as artist, we have the license to make them larger.  Her hair is truly lovely and realistic.  I wonder if the shoulder might be a little too wide.  This is a wonderful portrait and one you can be proud of  Thank you for sharing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 8:52 PM

HOLLY HOLLY...  so very happy to see you back...   we would always pitch in for you in a pinch if you need us to.  I love your oil of the bowl of apples.   I'm not an oil person but I do see a glow in the slice of apple like Sam said some warms blending to cools,  yellows greens creams.   and by coloring the skin of the apple slice might help as well.   I do see some browns in the center near the core.    I'm just glad you are back....

Jen:  elipse eclipse... hmmmm  something to dream about while you are with your grands.  picked on with love

Judy:   your portrait is beautiful...   I love it.

Kristina:

I went to YouTube and typed in "captioned painting art instructions" and found several types of art instruction...  you might try it to see if you find something that interests you.

FRED:   I love your lake...  overflowing with love.   "cool clear water"  must be a spring underneath.   Everything is good...

Geri,   be nice now....  to jen

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,530
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Oct 2012 9:40 PM

Its ok Jen you can look up the post when you get back.Wink

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Oct 2012 8:45 AM

Holly- Welcome back to AD and hoping from now on, nothing will keep you away for a long period of time. It's feeling good when our group is here and no one is missing. Kristina promised to start doing arts to come back with us too. If we can get Susan A. to come back or if you can ask her to post her painting on the "Old House", it will complete the group. Now that we have new members, the group is bigger and we are proud to have new ones joining us.

Judy- Your "Steve's daughter" is fantastic. I love her eyes and hair. The shading is very good . Keep painting we want to see more of your nice works.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 2 Oct 2012 11:58 AM

Geri - you made me hungry when I saw your photo!  Breakfast is my favorite meal!!

Jen - Have fun with those grand kids & thank you for the compliments on my charcoal drawing

Holly - Thank you also for the compliment on my charcoal drawing & the wonderful offer to send me that link!  I look forward to receiving it, especially since it's FREE!

Sam - Fantastic suggestions for the eys & pupils - I NEVER even thought about the effect of the flash on the model's eyes!  Steve gave me several photos to work from & I am hoping to do more of this wonderful young lady - her shoulder may be too wide - Alas, dad already has the photo - but this helps so much! THANK YOU!

Marsha & Sandi - thank you for your compliments on my charcoal drawing!

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,530
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Oct 2012 12:33 PM

If I am taking pictures of something I might draw or paint I never use a flash unless I can't hold the camera still to get a clear picture.  I feel that flash gives the picture artificial shadows and I want to see the real thing.  The way light falls across an object can make or brake how interesting the painting is.  Sandi's picture of the house is a good example.  The long red streams of light and the shadows make it much more interesting to look at.  I am finding myself looking at things differently sine I have returned to doing art.  I notice how the light falls on things .  The other day while I was getting my hair cut There was a little girl sitting by the window staring at something.  I thought if I only had a camera or if she would stay that way for me to draw.  The bright light was hitting her in the face and shoulders and the rest of her was in much darker shadows.  It would have been a hoe hum picture with flat lighting a flash would have given it.  Just my observations and ramblings.  I hope I didn't bore you.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 2 Oct 2012 12:46 PM

Jen - If you weren't so nice and easy to pick on, I guess we wouldn't.  I really didn't think about you and your "love affair" with flowers then I decided to use that theme for a challenge - - really - - I didn't!  I promise!  (I really like that last rose, too!)

Geri - In addition to the sort of "false" lighting you get with a photograph (even without the flash), there is also the issue of depth and perspective that shows up different in photos than the scene actually looks in real life.  I've found if I just block the painting in initially using the reference photo and then put it out of sight (but maybe close enough to refer to if necessary) to finish the painting, then I do much better - I get better lighting and better shadow placement, etc.    Taking photos of paintings - even without the flash - still give me some funky images, sometimes - - I either need a better camera or I need to learn to use the one I have better!  I think it's the latter. Confused

Judy - I sent you 2 "conversations" with links - - if you can't follow the links to get there - let me know and we will go to Plan B.

Holly

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 2 Oct 2012 3:38 PM

Geri - You didn't bore me - I admire your observations & have found the same when I look at things now, since I started drawing, especially with color.  I seem to see more colors all the time & your right - it seems to all connect with the type of light that is there.  Thanks for your insight - I'm actually not going crazy after all!

Judy   C&C appreciated

Page 67 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  65 66 67 68 69  Next >  ... Last » | RSS