challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 5:28 PM

Hi Geri - I liked your picture. 

I did a few (not many) colored pencil portraits & found the following book of great help to enhance the richness of the colors - also, I found that Stonehenge paper was great for colored pencil.....

"Masterful Color: Vibrant Colored Pencil Paintings Layer by Layer"  by Arlene Steinburg

The author explains how to layer colors to get other colors & richness in the final product very well - here is a link at Amazon.com -

http://www.amazon.com/Masterful-Color-Vibrant-Colored-Paintings/dp/1440310297/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348437347&sr=1-4&keywords=colored+pencil

I hope this helps - keep up the good work!

I've included a picture of a baby I did using her techniques

My previous colored pencil attempts seemed somewhat washed out until I tried Ms Steinburg's methods

Judy   C&C appreciated

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 23 Sep 2012 6:59 PM

Jen, I like the colors in the shadows of the eggs and the eggs' reflections in the cup.  It must be a very shiny cup to be reflecting light on both sides.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 23 Sep 2012 7:01 PM

jatravis, what a lovely portrait of the sleeping baby.  Excellent skin tones and well done facial features.  Thanks for sharing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 9:35 PM

Sam - I checked out your blogspot & was blown away by your flowers especially - such wonderful work!!!  I have never tried oil pastels & am going to resist the urge after admiring your work because I am trying to conquer oils first.  I am finding them very forgiving :) 

Thank You for the complement too!

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 9:47 PM

Thanks for the info JAtravis.  I will check into it.  By the way that is a beautiful baby you drew.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 9:56 PM

Jen I saw your entry on WC and I know what you mean about eggs.  They are awful hard to draw for something that simple.  I also saw where you are from Arkansas.  We will be heading to Conway for Thanksgiving.  Hope to go to McArture park to the Art Museum.  I used to go there all the time when I lived in Jacksonville great place.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 11:53 PM
Jatravis, welcome to the forum. Do you have a name you would like us to call you as it would be easier for us to remember it. I love this CP painting of the precious baby. It is really well done and you have obviously found a teacher to inspire you. I hope we will see more of your work.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,817
Points 46,885
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 11:58 PM
Thanks Geri, I live about two hours from Conway in Fort Smith. We have lived there thirty six years.just came for two! You might want to come over to Rogers and see the new Crystal bridges art Museum donated by Mrs Walton. The artwork is amazing and the grounds are wonderful too. I went up to see the Hudson River exhibit and that was awesome. I didn't have time to see the permanent exhibits but I am told it is well worth going back. Yes eggs are darn tricky.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 6:38 AM

Jen, thank you for your kind words!

Judy

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 8:59 AM

I lived in Arkansas for 6 years.  3 in the air force and then graduated from UCA.  Always wanted to go to Fort Smith but never made it.  It has such great history.  I probably wont have time to go to Rogers but it sure sounds neat.  Maybe someday.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 11:40 AM

Geri - my daughter was in the airforce, but she was stationed mostly in Tacoma, Washington.  Thank You for your important service!

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 1:04 PM

Your welcome J A.  While in th service I got to see all the exotic places.  Rantoul IL. and Jacksonville Ar.  I did meet my terrific wife (the only one to put up with me) and stayed out of Vietnam so I guess the Air force was pretty good for me.Big Smile

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 3:17 PM

Hi all Another atempt with gouache that I named NOW BOARDING FOR EARTH 1/4 sheet 140# cp
Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 4:06 PM

Hello everyone...   I have miss you all

FRED:   You are still my favorite story painter....   I want to board that ship as well....maybe I can board it from here when it arrives to just take me away from earth for awhile....  Great colors.  you are braver than me with the gouache...   I love it.  The sunset was great.   I loved Curiosity meeting a new friend... you ink and wash was good as well,  I even saw that that old shack had been there long enough for a tree to grow out of it  tee hee,   but where was the O.H.?  I shivered with the cool painting with all the snow.   glad I live in Las Vegas for that one.  Mars in Color was another fave of mine but the Valley of Fire was close and personal,   love the ghost of a bear there....  well that takes me all the way back to July,  when I think I dropped off the planet here....

Sam: sure missed your smiling words... Thanks for the kinds words on Challenge  When will we see some of your work posted again...   the September Challenge looks great to work on...

Jen:  So glad you enjoyed your family.   thanks for the kind words as well.  I love the spotlight challenge with the cup and egg. you are braver than me for that one.   was that a Wet Canvas challenge?

Judy:  WOW   I am happy to see you joined this great group of folks,   lovely cp ...  I have been working on an infant as well for a while now but I keep putting it away because I don't want to work on it when I am stressed...  I love your technique

Sandi, Joyce:  I see you have been busy as well  I miss seeing your art posts....

JeanE:  I loved your peaceful woods and hay field..  Dave is wonderful, I just want to hug him.   I have wondered about Holly myself... I don't like that she isn't around.  I have been reading all of your posts  ...  has anyone heard anything yet?

Sheila:   Your oncoming storm is very moving...  I know I'm late with the comments but how about  "OH ***"   ... Sorry for the language but that is what I get out of it....  it is pretty powerful when you think of the losses he will undergo and the possibility of losing everything including his home....

Geri:  Glad to see your work as well,  I liked the monotone pieces.   It was my granddaughter and grandson that you were working on.   I hope to see them one day...

I don't promise to always be around due to the productions stuff I am doing but I will try not to stay away so long.   I still pop in and look and all the wonderful art that is posted.   It is still a part of my day to look...  

Well I have written a book here....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 4:50 PM

I love your imagination!  I saw your bear picture too & loved it..............

Judy   C&C appreciated

Page 64 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  62 63 64 65 66  Next >  ... Last » | RSS