challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 5:04 PM

Thanks Jen, for the kind cc my picture I'm using now is a few years old (5 or so).  I love this site you people are the best and I learn so much from you all.

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 11:42 AM

Hi all Sunset in gouache , still trying to get comfortable with this media I realize I need considerable more patience than with watercolor

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 4:24 PM

Keep at it Fred you are getting the hang of it.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 4:45 PM

This for all of you out there who do portraits of people in colored pencil..  I have a limited # of colored pencils at this time and would like to know what colors you recommend to do portraits.  Right now the closest thing that I have to a skin tone is yellow ocher so please help.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,785
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 9:40 PM
Geri you can use about any colour in a portrait as long as you get the wams and cools and tones right. the yellow ochre will work as will any reds, blues and greens, and seinnas, and purples. A lot depends on the skin tone you are trying to represent. white skin has reds, and yellows some green. dark skin more purples and blues. see if you can find some books on skin tones it doesn't really matter what medium. Daniel Green has a good cp one. look online at the videos for free. you will find a lot of help there too. I oftem use blues and greens in shadows but as I said it depends on the skin of the person. Take a look in the portrait forum on Wet Canvas they have some class room how to and WIPs there that may help.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,785
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 9:43 PM
Fred I love this sunset. Great colours! I know gouache is different and doesn't flow like WC but it does have some interesting properties. I does dry a bit flat though. I used it quite a bit when I took a colour class at college.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 8:41 AM

Well, Fred, we all know that you are the master of skies.  This one is exceptional.  However, I feel that with the back lighting this sky creates, the foliage would be light around it's perimeter and darker as it comes forward toward us since the taller foliage would be blocking the light from those closer greens.  Also, do you think that the green would be reflected in the water around the shores?

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 9:05 AM

Geri,

As Jen said, you can use all the colors available in a portrait.  The more closely one looks at a portrait, the more colors one will discover and it's exciting to use lots of colors.  I'm going to give you a list of the middle value colors for a portrait and then you use whatever darks you want.  I have used colors as dark as Indigo Blue and Tuscan Red on portraits but one must apply colors that dark very lightly.  You can transfer color to the paper while barely touching it with the pencils.  Also, layering colors is what makes a CP painting beautiful.  It's fun to mix colors on the paper.  One caution, while layering colors, one can get a build up of colors to the point that it will not take any more.  So don't be too heavy handed.

My favorite and most expensive colors for portraits are Luminance by Caran d'Ache.  The colors are Burnt Ocher 10% and Brown Ocher 10%.

Faber Castel Polychromos has three flesh colors: Dark Flesh, Medium Flesh and Light Flesh.  Cinnamon also is good for portraits.

Here's the list of Primacolors that work well for portraits:

Light Peach, Blush Pink, Beige Sienna, Cream, Deco Peach, Deco Pink, Ginger Root, Peach Beige, Pink Rose, Rosy Beige and Grayed Lavender is really good for shadows.

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to seeing some beautiful CP portrait paintings.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 12:16 PM

Jen thank you for your response.  I did use different colors than what it looks like in the pic.  I used complementary colors to do the shadows as my first layer ( purple on the palomino and green on the red horse)   I also used several different layers in that dark background to try and keep it from being boring.  Cps can be tough but they are kind of fun too.  Thanks again.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 1:06 PM

Geri, CP can be time consuming and tedious especially if you want to achieve a refined, finished look but you can get beautiful results.  I think it is worth the investment of time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 21 Sep 2012 3:58 PM

Sam thanks for the encouragement.  I look at a picture and it tells me what medium it wants to be.  I don't know if I should be jumping around doing ink or cp, watercolor, or what ever or should I stick with one and learn it the right way.  It is fun doing a little of this and a little of that but after seeing the cp portraits that you Jen and others do have made me envious. ( I don't do people very well).  I just know that I can't learn if I don't try.I also look at the work of watercolorist and think that looks easy I could do that and its never as easy as it looks.  Thank you for aii your help.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 22 Sep 2012 11:21 AM

Hi Sam You are right on with your critique,thanks. Ruthie and I are planning our first trip to Asheville and I remembered that you went there some time ago so I wondered if you can suggest a place to stay that's within walking distance to the art galleries etc. Thanks for any suggestions you can make

Fred

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 22 Sep 2012 11:57 AM

Fred, we spent only two nights in Asheville and stayed at the Hampton Inn at Biltmore Square which wasn't close to the art galleries.  If you do a goggle search of Asheville, you will find all kinds of information including art galleries.  Try calling some of those for recommendations.  Rates may be high in downtown Asheville.

If you are a AAA member, they can provide you with lots of information.  I hope that you two enjoy your trip.  There are some fascinating galleries.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 22 Sep 2012 4:59 PM

Thank you Sam will do

Fred

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,785
Turps245 wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 2:23 PM

Fred, be sure and take photos and tell us all about the trip when you two come back. Sounds like fun.

I just did a Spotlight challenge on WC so thought I would share. This kicked my you know as well. I soooooo  out of practice. I will get back to our challenge too.

6x8 Uart with various soft pastels and pencils

• | Post Points: 35
Page 63 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  61 62 63 64 65  Next >  ... Last » | RSS