challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 28 Jun 2012 7:16 PM

James,  I love the double exposure,  I didn't know those things could still happen in these days....  how cool.  I think you did a great job and I like the concept as well as the white hair...  One of my band leaders is 91, so you have a long way to go....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 28 Jun 2012 8:07 PM

Marsha, what an interesting abstract design.  Love the colors and the movement in this.  It looks like a nest built in a cactus.  One of the eggs is separate from the others and it is broken.  We have a child like that too.  Fortunately, the other eggs are close to each other.  I can't interrupt the colorful little creatures approaching and on the nest.  Some of them look like shrimp.  I hope that they are not something that the eggs have to fear. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 28 Jun 2012 8:14 PM

Se.artista, what fun it must be to design clothing for beautiful, tall, long-legged models.  Good job.

James, I can see why you are proud of your daughter's work.  What an honor to have her work on the Strathmore paper pad.  Yes, they can be bossy.  Young people have the idea that "old" people don't know much.  Little do they know!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 200
Points 3,665
on 28 Jun 2012 9:46 PM

First I want to Congratulate Jen on the birth of the New One!!! 

Secondly - thanks for your kind comments about my expensive lesson.  Actually, I think about it as the amount of money we lost today by not selling our wheat yesterday - or that it was a little hail storm in my studio........ 

We've finished with the wheat harvest !!! Two weeks early, but one of the best crops we've had in years.  Now just pray that it will rain and save the corn.  Looking really tough.  The fires in Colorado are still burning out of control.  Colorado Springs - south of Denver - evacuated 32,000 people yesterday. We sure could use some of that rain you've been getting Sam !!! 

Marsha - Beautiful abstract.  The title really fits and conjures up deep feelings of loss - fractured and broken, yet full of life and hope.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 515
S.artista wrote
on 29 Jun 2012 2:40 AM

thanks Sam, yes it is fun for this kind of body figures, i didnt try making clothes for other figures (little more difficult) or men.

Marsha thanks for the comments, i will try to fix the drawings. my name is seham.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 515
S.artista wrote
on 29 Jun 2012 2:45 AM

Sam, thanks yes it is fun for this kind of figures. i havent tried makng clothes for other figures (little more difficult) and men. but i will try that too.

Marsha thanks for the comments i will fix the drawings soon, my name is Seham.

Seham

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Jun 2012 9:04 PM

Jen- Congrats on the second gift from God. He is a big boy already at more than 8 lbs. Hope you are not too busy with Baby and the Curly One to drop in to chat once in awhile.

Seham- Your design is very good, girls have shading and contours and nice proportion. Keep at it who knows someday you will get to where you want to go. Staying with drawing/painting will expand your experience and knowledge of color management.

I already made comments on your two drawings in the Challenge Thread.

Geri, James and Marsha and those who do Watercolor- I always use Fabriano Coldpress  300 lbs. for serious work. Don't like Arches b/c when it's wet, it gives out some kind of smell. When doing fun work like the Monthly Challenge I use Strathmore b/c it's cheaper but the last purchase of it is a disappointment. The paper has no quality at all, it peels out in lumps as soon as it gets wet. My work with watercolor comes out terrible and when I coated it with Gesso to use with Oil Pastel, it doesn't behave like it used to. I think they probably use lower quality materials now.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Jun 2012 3:05 PM

Sandi I have used stathmore papers for a lot of things but in my opinion their WC paper sucks.  I found some Fabriano on sale at Mr art and will give it a try.  It is 90 lb and will have to be stretched but I can live with that at the price they are asking .

Your picture is much improved evan though it still has flowers. ;)

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 12:32 PM

Hi guys,  just thought I would let you know I have posted the July Challeng photos and Hope you will join us over there for some fun.....   see ya there....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 1:03 PM

James, I asked around about Barbara Hancock and Ron Florio,  I haven't heard of them although the name Florio rings a bell somewhere in the chasm of my mind...

My husband is a bass player that is how I met him.  I was a singer and he had a band and I sat it...  the rest is history....  25 years later I'm still sitting in occasionally... 

Tuesday I have a 19 piece Jazz Orchestra coming in from Wellington, New Zealand to Perform and Its driving me crazy because I have to provide everything for them,  music stands, amps, keyboard, etc etc,,,  let alone set it all up for them and run the sound.  so I will be crazy busy on Tuesday...  I am already looking forward to Wednesday...  Rest day,,, accept my dogs will be going crazy due to the fireworks going off all around our neighborhood...  Maybe Thursday will be my rest day....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Jul 2012 3:21 PM

Marsha  thanks for looking around I knew it was a long shot but when I was playing I knew most of the musicians in our area north of chicago I know most of them around here , about 15 years ago my oldest son asked me to play bass in a blues band he was forming I did for acouple of years and I hadn't touched a bass in 20 years  I play guitar just to entertain myself now 65 years Ive been playing  so I thought maybe she was still working the small lounges she would be about 60 and she was good but nothing original. Ron Florios brother louie had a fireplace [I think ] business in vegas somewhere but that was 25 years ago could be his name in your memory

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 4 Jul 2012 11:34 AM

Hi all  Marsha your sketch's are great. The art center and artist guild I belong to are having a Who Done it silent auction in conjunction with the annual Christmas sale The idea is that  people that are interested will buy a ticket for $50 and are guaranteed a painting, if there is more than one person interested in a painting then they bid up on it but since there are only as many tickets are sold as there are donated paintings every one will get a painting. The artist is expected to donate a painting of value of at least $50, sign the back of the painting with any pertinent information and also paint in a different media than usual to confuse potential bidders. So I've been painting with my Genesis heat set oils on Yes canvas, I finished this one today, I'll also add one I painted last week.

Fred

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Jul 2012 12:22 PM

WOW Fred you outdone yourself.  The top picture is really good and I hope it brings them a couple hundred bucks.  Keep us posted on how the budding went.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 4 Jul 2012 3:30 PM

Fred, good luck with the show.  If you enter the first painting, everyone will be bidding on it.  Really nice balance of warm and cool colors.  Great sky and mountains.  I do believe that you love those hot, hot colors as much as I do. I like the bubbling water and hidden red house.  Nice, well done painting.

The tropical paintings is hot, hot, hot, too.  Love the sky!

Everyone, I thought that I would finish the portrait I've been working on this week but it's not to be.  I'll definitely show it to you next week.  I have two more portraits to do and also some watercolor batiks to hang in four different spots in my home.  It's taking me such a long time because my eyes get tired and blurry very quickly.  I hate this old age!  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 4 Jul 2012 5:34 PM

This site has really turned out to be wonderful thanks to all of you. Over the months it has grown and grown, with new artists showing their work and the chatting and the cc’s are nice to read.  My art supplies have been packed away for the next few weeks with all the mess in the house but hopefully in Aug. the work will be done and I can unpacked my supplies and put them back into the cupboards.  Every room is a mess here and it isn’t getting fixed soon enough for me.  I already miss painting, which sounds funny even to myself.  I've come a long way with this great hobby of mine.  Here is the last painting I did which is done using oils and yes I did say oil (my first).  I tried doing the same picture using watercolour and that painting is in the garbage.  So now I’ve tried pastels, charcoal, watercolour, oil and acrylic, my idea was to try all and see what I like to work with.  Mmm charcoal, pastels, watercolour, and oil even acrylic I like them all.   Anyway here is my last painting I got permission to paint the picture.  The orginal picture was taken at Ojibway Park, in Ontario. Enjoy  

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Page 53 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  51 52 53 54 55  Next >  ... Last » | RSS