challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 16 May 2012 7:16 AM

Morning to everyone,  I'm still learning about how to paint, some painting turn out ok and others are not ever seen again.  I've taken a 1-day workshop on acrylics and am now trying to work with water base oils.  I'm trying oils without any help so we will see.  I have now brought a few colours, the board and will go from there.  Watercolour painting is still what I love but it is so darn hard to do.  What I really should be doing is taking art drawing class.  I am still reading each email that comes to me and some of your paintings are just wonderful.  Keep them coming here is a hinge I’m working on in watercolour.   Glad to see new artists are joining this site welcome all.     

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 May 2012 2:24 PM

Hi, Joyce,   great minds think alike,,,, I'm also working on a hinge,  I put it aside for awhile, but your great looking hinge has given me the urge to pull it out.  

Great job.   I should look into water based oils.   sounds facinating. 

keep up the good work. post when you are finished...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 16 May 2012 5:52 PM
FRED, I love this latest dragon painting. It has a very graphic look to it and the pair look so happy. looking forward to the next installment! JOYCE, good to see you back here. Sounds like you have been busy trying different mediums. In my opinion oils are easier than either WC or acrylics but there is always a bit of a learning curve when you try new things. I really like what you did with the rusty hinge. You did a great job showing the rust and the wood too. you are really growing as an artist. The Curly One and I cleaned up the patio all afternoon while Mum had some down time having a pedicure and such. Our cleaning involved lots of sudsy water and a hose! Everything including the plants looks great! Granny needs a rest now!!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 May 2012 7:22 PM

Joyce, it's good that you are still creating.  You selected an interesting subject and have done a good job with it.  Nice wood grain and rust.  It looks well weathered.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 May 2012 11:03 AM

Fred- Love your most recent painting. It's like a graphic art with beautiful colors and is telling a love story. Well done as usual.

Joyce- Welcome back, good to see you posting again. This painting is exceptionally good. You did the rusted metal well. Love your aged wood planks that show the holes artfully. The colors are harmonious. Well done too. I am guessing  this is Watercolor, am I right?

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 510
Altoproxima wrote
on 17 May 2012 4:55 PM

I've started out doing some raw sketches from old black and white photographs I have found lingering around on the wide web. I thought these would be good to study facial proportions, composition and light. It's done with charcoal and graphite.

By the way it's Babara Stanwyck  :)   .... No need to tell this must have been one of the prettiest woman in her days.

Tim

C&C always welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 17 May 2012 7:11 PM

Tim, welcome to our little group.  We are delighted to see your work.  I take it that you are a new artist attempting to learn composition and values.  You've done a good job on this charcoal drawing of Barbara Stanwyck.  You captured her sultry look very well.  I like the winking eye.  Let us see more of your drawings.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 728
Points 12,260
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 17 May 2012 8:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the cc's and yes my hinge is done using watercolours.  I should be done with it tonight I hoping will re post when done.  I am happy really happy with it.  

Altoproxima wow your Barbara Stanwyck!!!!  keep it up!!!wow!!!

Sandi can't wait to see your hinge and Sam, Marsha, and Jen thanks for the cc's and it is good to be back.  

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 May 2012 8:29 PM

Joyce- It's Marsha who is working on her hinge.  I haven't found any hinge that I like yet.Smile

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 May 2012 8:45 PM

Hi Tim- I like this drawing very much. It seems you really know what you are doing. Love the seductive post, the winking eyes and the folds of her blouse. Usually, folds are difficult to do but you did it well. So far we have your pastel landscape and the portrait drawing, what other medium do you do?

By the way, do you live in Belgium or some where in Europe (since you mentioned Belgium TV station)?

Right Hug Sandi

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 510
Altoproxima wrote
on 18 May 2012 6:45 AM

Sam, i'm happy to take part in this little group here, it feels very cozy.

Joyce,  thank you, that hinge looks good, I like the rust and wood texture.

Sandi, those folds were the actual exercise (apart from the composition)

I'm still in between media, i've so far tried pastels, graphite and water colors. In the May challenge I am going to post a watercolor or an attempt at watercolors very soon as I need advice for that one.  I live in Belgium, yes,  right in between Antwerp, Brussels and Ghent. (more closely to Ghent though).

Fred,  I really like your last painting (and all the others), though i'm missing something in the last painting you have made, when I think of dragons they always (at least in my imagination, this is your story) seem to breath fire, with those two dragons madly in love, fire would enhance the scene.Wink

edit

Sandi,  I've found my grandfathers and fathers oils so I might attempt an oil painting and see if that medium is appealing to me.

Tim

C&C always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 18 May 2012 11:41 AM

Hi all and welcome Tim ,and Tim I try to portray my dragons as being the friendly dragons that try not to scare humans and become a part of society Cool

This is a wet canvas pen and ink forum challenge 7x10 HP of the Grand Tetons photo by Lady Carol 2 versions

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 20 May 2012 6:29 PM

Fred--These are pleasantly looking paintings. I don't know much about Pen and Ink. I did something similar to these when I was young using black ink for outlining and then applied watercolor randomly just to have bits of colors somewhere in the painting. 

Your paintings seem to be done differently from my pen and ink. Do you use various colors of ink or do you apply watercolor along with the ink?

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 20 May 2012 7:40 PM

Fred, there is some beautiful scenery at the Grand Tetons and you captured it well.  It's interesting to see how the mountains stand out against the dark sky in the first image but I suspect that is the unfinished paintings and that the second one is the final product.  I really like the texture in the mountains in the second painting and the wispy clouds.  The fence leads  the viewer's eye into the paintings.  Perhaps a little more values, dark and lights, in the trees on the mountain would make them zing a little more.  This is a nice painting and, surprisingly, there are no bears, dragons or hillbillies to be found.  They must be hiding in the trees! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 20 May 2012 8:11 PM
Tim, this is a very nice sketch.you have a lot of good graduation in tones. I recently did a sketch of a black and white photo and found it surpringly difficult. Like any portrait reference it is helpful if it has good light and contrast.I think yours has this.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 44 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  42 43 44 45 46  Next >  ... Last » | RSS