challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 510
Altoproxima wrote
on 29 Apr 2012 5:00 PM

Thank you Marcha,

my real name is Tim, i've added my name to my signature to clear that up. I realize now there are several mistakes in placement of trees and shadows now that I look at the photograph I made of the painting,those aren't tire tracks in the back. It is a shadow, looking that the original I realize i need to break that up in the center and darken the background gras to create more dept.

If you can give me more tips they would be most welcome.

Jen, thanks,  it is a place I would like to visit one day, the cotswolds here are described as the best kept secret of the UK, and to be honest, I believe it is.

Tim

C&C always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Apr 2012 8:32 PM

Altoproxima (Tim)--Welcome to our little group here. Glad you found us. We are always happy to see new face and will try to help anyway we can.

Your painting is very nice and pleasing to the eyes. I see you are very detail-oriented and that is good. First of all we should establish where the light is coming from. Usually it should come from either the left or the right. I am going to guess that in this painting the light come from the left (our leftside as we are facing it). From there you have to imagine where would the shadows from the trees would fall. they won't go in long lines across the painting. They should go about 45 degree diagonally to the trees and the shadows will end somewhere within the painting and they should be soft not hard lines.

You made the trees realistic and believable. They have nice variegated colors and they vary in shape. You are right when you said you need to create more depth in the BG. The way to create more depth is to place one tree (or row of trees) in front of the others. The ones in the back will show less value (lighter color) than the ones in front.  Also the mountain faraway needs to be lighter too, possibly light grey or purple.

You probably paint from a photo which is good but once you place your scenery and block them with light colors you can forget the photo and paint from your imagination or vision and experience, your painting will come out as your own creation. Please don't try to copy a photo because artists always say photo lies. 

Hope this helps. The best person who can give very constructive critique is Sammy who is not available here this week. When she comes back she probably will look at your painting and give valuable comment so please hang in there. From this artwork of your, you show that you have a promising to be a good artist.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Apr 2012 8:42 PM

Fred- I like his name and his pinnacle home. He made it much different than the other pinnacles. I second Marsha about another series of Fonreb.

Right Hug Sandi

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 510
Altoproxima wrote
on 30 Apr 2012 8:47 AM

Hello, Sandi, thank you for the kind welcoming words.

I do love detail, I have said I have a big love for the old renaissance/barok painters like Carravagio, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres and PP Rubens. Comparing what I  have created and what they did I still have a loOOoong way to go.

Yes, I work mostly with photographs, you aren't the only one that have said that using photographs generaly create certain problems in a drawings/paintings because of lens distortion.

The tips you have given me are very usefull for other paintings i will produce, I will leave this one as is, so I can clearly see progress. Not sure if I mentioned that this was my first attempt at drawing/painting with pastels.

Tim

C&C always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 30 Apr 2012 2:50 PM

Hi all Ruthie Say's I must be in my 3rd childhood but I do enjoy what I paint,this is 1/4 sheet arches CP ,Tim glad to have another male onboard,I like your work

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Apr 2012 4:22 PM

Hey Fred you are introducing us to your whole cast of characters, it's like a curtain call....  ok folks, take a bow....   (where's the OH),  I found waldo in the tree as well.  Fred and all of his great friends.... fun

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 May 2012 11:56 AM

Hi All - You guys have been busy and really put me to shame.  I get so overwhelmed with all of the stuff that I have not responded to when I am "gone" for so long.  I am always "lurking" every day and I DO see what you are doing but I have just felt so yukky that I have not posted any replies. 

My last working night was March 27 - I spent the first couple of weeks sleeping and reading and doing absolutely nothing constructive!  Then I started feeling bad again - - it turned out I had just caught a bad cold but that coupled with the asthma, emphyazema and bronchitis really put me down for a while.  I have DRUGS now - and I'm feeling great for the moment - - we'll see what happens once I finish up taking the magic potions.  Cross your fingers for me that I will still be  good!

My husband and I had the MOST SPECIAL SUNDAY EVER!!  I can't wait to show you the pictures.  We know that Sammy is traveling to visit with family all over the place until probably the middle to the end of this week.  Well guess what?  She and her husband made a little "side trip" to Asheville and my husband and I met them for lunch Sunday and then a glorious stroll (hike) through the NC Arboretum.  What a fantastic treat to get to meet our SAMMY and her husband and what a fun day it was!

And not to forget our hubbies who were so kind to put up with us!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 1 May 2012 12:27 PM
Holly so great to hear from you, we have been wondering how you are. I thought you were probably just decompressing, sorry to hear you have been sick too. How lovely you and Sammy got together and had a great day we have been missing Sammy too. Thanks for sending the pictures of all of you together you all look so happy!! hope you both get back here really soon.:)

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 1 May 2012 12:31 PM
Fred now there are a bunch of characters. They all look like they are friendly together so is it a party or a political rally!! Love it!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 May 2012 6:34 PM

Holly-  So glad you've come back in full swing. Love your new hairdo that make you look younger and carefree. You girls look great in big hats  and you guys handsome in smaller ones. The flowers are glorious and all of you look so happy together. I am so jealous!

Hope you are getting over your sickly bout Holly. Take care of yourself it will be a while until you get used to having freedom.  Then if you feel good your health will recover too. Working night has put havoc in your life for too long. It has been medically proved that working night for long period will make you sick and/or sicker.

Sammy-  We miss you. It's like there is no central pole to hold on without you. Enjoy your trip  and be back soon.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 May 2012 6:41 PM

Fred-  You got my imagination running wild. It looks to me as if Fonreb has brought the human guy to hide on the tree peeking at other characters on the ground. I don't know who is sitting on a chair though.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 3 May 2012 5:53 AM

Fred - I just love your dragon, FonReb!  What a great name for him.  I agree with everyone - you have a great new story line developing!  Can't wait to see where your wonderful imagination takes off with it.  Congratulations on all the good press you have gotten with your show!  I'm really impressed!

Sandi - I did finally finish the sunset painting from your challenge, and Sammy - I'm still working on the horses, and Jen - I am also working on your swan.  Even though I have been feeling "puny", I have been painting a little.  Will post the sunset later today and the others as I finish them up.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 3 May 2012 1:54 PM

Hi all My latest called Where in the Universe am I ?

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 3 May 2012 3:02 PM

Fred, the painting of the hunter riding on the dragon's neck reminds me of the movie Avatar.  The colors in this painting are exciting.  The sky as well as the dragon and such beautiful warm colors.  I like the warm brown mountains, too.  Nice painting, Fred.

Tim, welcome to our group. We are delighted to see your work.  I like it a lot.  I like the various shapes for the trees, the long, lean shadows and the sky pointing it's fingers toward the landscape.  The one suggestion I have is that the path not be so centered.  Lovely paintings.

Fred, so the dragon is dragon tail after a hard day.  That rock which he calls home looks a lot like a duck.  Maybe we could call it Donald Mountain.  I like the textures on the rock and I love the colors.  If you keep using colors in the orange family, I'll keep loving your work. 

Oops, I read Marsha's response after typing the above.  Duckhead Pinnacle it is!

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 3 May 2012 3:14 PM

Fred, there is a lot going on in this hillbilly, alien, dragon, bear and horse painting.  The poor hillbilly must not know where to run.  If he goes on way, he meets a bear, the other way, he meets an alien, and if he goes up a tree, he meets a dragon.  This is an interesting paintings which could tell many different stories.

In view of the ice bergs, it's obvious that your alien is either at the north or south pole.  I can't make out who his friends is.  Is it a bear cub?  Maybe there will be a romance developing!

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 41 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  39 40 41 42 43  Next >  ... Last » | RSS