pastels...do you have a q?

This post has 13 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
on 12 Dec 2011 4:44 AM

this does not look like a very active forum, which is a great shame, but I thought I would test the water by saying that I am a pastels tutor, and if anyone has a question, I would be delighted to answer it.

I shall now wait and see if anyone even looks at this!!!

Also, would love to know how to insert a picture, if anyone can answer that, I would be grateful.

thanks

Jackie Simmonds

http://www.jackiesimmondsartyfacts.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 149
Points 1,835
on 12 Dec 2011 2:39 PM

Hi Jackie,

I don't actually have a question right now but I thought I would answer you anyway..

As far as putting in a picture whwn your are on the page for posting you will see an options tab. Go to that there is an spot to add/update  an image, you just click that  and another little window will and it will give you two ways to add an image by uploading a file from your computer or adding a url.

Your work is beautiful by the way. I will definetly be looking for help as soon as my Christmas stuff is done....

also I read a post by you about fixative which was very informative thank you

Liz

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
old-frodo wrote
on 31 Jan 2012 1:38 PM

Jackie, Any tips for someone just going from dry pastel to Oil Pastel.  I'm kind of teaching myself at this point...Thanks,  Don (old frodo)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 325
arslanmh wrote
on 1 Feb 2012 1:30 AM

Hi All,

Well, exactly the same question as Don's. I was normally working with soft pastels. Recently trying oil pastels especially on still-life works. It is a bit harder for me so I will definitely appreciate if you give some tips.

Thanks,

Yusuf

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,610
Points 27,760
on 1 Feb 2012 8:07 AM

I have a question.  I was wondering if you could direct me to a place where i could get information about the health effects of pastel dust.  I have been working with pastels for about 4 years now and have seen people in gloves and masks.  And then others that do not use any protection.  I know a 90 year old artist that works in pastels and doesn't worry about such things.  I have to admit that I'm a blower, and have been warned about this because the natural thing to do afterward is to take a deep breath in.  So any advice would be appreciated.  Laura

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 10 Aug 2012 9:24 AM

Helllloooooo!!! This is my first time at artistdaily.com and I love the page.

I have some questions about pastels.

I never used this media and, before I get a pastels box, I'd like to know:

1) What´s your opinion about fixing a pastel painting? I searched all over the web and I found many different opinions. Some people say colors will change. It's that true? Will colors become darker? I have an art journal and I'd like to try using pastels in it.

2) What about mixing colors? Is it as easy as mixing color pencils? You must just apply less preasure when you're painting, in order to put another color over?

3) It is possible mixing color pencils and pastels?

I hope you´ll understand my English, and I´m sorry for the basic questions :'(

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 40
Elements123 wrote
on 26 Jan 2014 9:24 PM

I just started pastels a couple of years ago (which was when you made this post.) I just discovered this forum and love it so far. I have self taught myself to do pastels ( not really knowing what I'm doing or how to do it). I just 'draw what I see'. Anyway, I would like to know this: 1. Do I start with background first or the center of image?  2. I like doing portraits too, but again, don't know what I'm doing. Do I build...starting with light colors first? I'm attaching a couple of things that I have done so you can see what I'm doing right or wrong. Some are better than others. I really don't know what I'm doing. Just doing it. :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,610
Points 27,760
on 27 Jan 2014 9:32 AM

I recommend that you approach painting in pastels as you would an oil painting.  I have learned that you should always start with the darkest values first. Pastels have a wonderful ability to be layered and blended. So have fun experimenting. It looks like you're off to a great start.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 40
Elements123 wrote
on 31 Jan 2014 8:52 PM

Thank you Laura.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 200
on 15 Feb 2014 6:55 AM

Hello

i am beginner in pastel and recently I've bought a 60 color box of dry pastel and try it on some portrait but it seems difficult to paint a realistic portrait .do you think its something by my skill or i should buy oil pastel .actually is it possible to do a realistic portrait by dry pastel with several medium tones in it?

sorry for my poor English

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
on 15 Feb 2014 7:38 AM
I am sorry to tell you that you will have just as many problems with oil pastel.  Probably more problems because they are less versatile.
It is most definitely possible to create a good portrait with soft pastels, 60 is more than enough, BUT you cannot buy experience .  Portraits are perhaps the most difficult subject to tackle, you need to understand A LOT about anatomy and structure of the human head;  you need to understand how to create 3 dimensional form with your pastels; you need to understand a lot about tone and colour;  you need to understand how to measure and get proportions 100% right.

Do not try to run before you can walk!   Spend a year or two learning how to work with pastels.  Work with simple subjects - fruit and vegetables to begin with.  Then still life subjects, using man made objects together with natural ones.  Try flower painting.  Go to a class to learn how to paint the figure.  Find books in libraries which show you how to draw the individual features on a face.

Learning to paint is A LONG, SLOW PROCESS.  You cannot jump in and expect to paint perfect portraits instantly.  That is not how it works.

Jackie
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 200
on 22 Feb 2014 11:49 AM

Hello Jackie

your advices was really helpful to me to make me sure that i chose the right medium .actually i was not sure about some really nice portrait if they are made by soft pastel or not .after that i tried once again and the result was good _i know that i am beginner and there are so many things to know for me _ thank you so much

i would like to upload my painting _ i don't know how??-and i would be pleasure if you criticize me i can also tell you what color i used for that if it'll help.actually this is my problem .

thank you again

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 40
Elements123 wrote
on 24 Feb 2014 5:53 PM

Very nice!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 40