Challenge # 14 - November 22 - December 31, 2011

This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 9 Feb 2012 4:35 PM

Cindy, pretty neat to add pastel to your charcoal.  It is very effective.  Ol' Rusty has personality and does look like he has perked up.  Very nice.  It's good to see your work again.  Looking forward to more.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 554
Points 8,005
csebeling wrote
on 9 Feb 2012 6:26 PM

Thanks for your kind comments Sandi and Sammy. The large newsprint paper helps me stay loose. I'll get back to the wc's eventually. 

Cindy...last name Learn- C&C's always welcome. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,410
Turps245 wrote
on 10 Feb 2012 12:48 PM
Cindy, you did a great job on old rusty and he looks quite happy sitting jauntily in the snow. Well done. I am glad you went back and gave him another showing as I like him!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 16 Feb 2012 12:44 PM

OK - I promised Sammy that I would post my two miserable attempts at the portrait of her adorable great-granddaughter, Haidyn.  AND, they are truly miserable!

The first one is done on 300 lb wc paper with egg tempera - a medium I have never worked with before.  I have no idea why I decided to try it.  Aside from a lot of obvious stuff, the poor little dear looks like she has the mumps!

The second attempt is only marginally better - and I do mean MARGINALLY!  Done also in egg tempera on an Ampersand water media board - can't remember it's proper name. 

Neither of them even remotely resemble Haidyn - I guess that means I need to do some portrait work.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 16 Feb 2012 3:17 PM

Holly, how brave you are to do portraits with a new medium.  You got the blue eyes and the blond hair perfect in the second on.  A little long in the nose though.  The lips, teeth and tongue look good, too.

The first one looks like a grown up young lady.  I like how you suggested the hat without a lot of details. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,410
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Feb 2012 5:42 PM
Holly, portraits are not easy and children in particular. You are getting there and the shape is right in the second one. As someone told me that you have to paint hundreds before you start to get it. You are on your way just keep drawing and looking. I think it was brave of you to try it in a new medium too. I am just glad you are feeling well enough to try

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 17 Feb 2012 8:06 AM

Thanks Sammy & Jen - You are both WAY too kind.  I actually did these 2  back in December, just did have enough courage to post them since they were both so awful.  In retrospect, I may try her again - just not in egg tempera - I don't think I like that medium AT ALL!  Good thing I didn't invest a lot of $$ in them.  I agree, Sammy - the first one looks way too old - this turned into a test page, as you can see - just working on mixing colors, etc. for the second one.  Although I don't like the second one either, I do feel like I got the eyes better and I was sort of pleased with the progress on her mouth.  I think I just got her face way too long - or didn't place her eyes low enough - or the fact that the hat is not actually sitting on her head (but rather floating above it) probably skews the whole thing, too. 

Holly

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 9:46 AM

This is the old truck in the snowy field.  I did this one for a very good friend of mine so I put the USC license plate on it (that's University of South Carolina),  It's oil on 12x16 canvas.  I am just waiting about another week for the varnish to dry a little better then it will get on it's way to her.  (I actually took progress photos of ths one so I'm including them too - the last 2 are before and after the varnish - it always amazes me when I see how the color brightenes up with the varnish!.)  I can't post it on Facebook yet, because it is a surprise for her.

Holly

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Jan 2013 11:27 AM

Holly, great painting of the old rusty car.  You captured the rusty look well.  I love the subtle color changes in the sky and beautiful colors in the snow, especially the shadow of the car. The conifer trees look really good.  You used purple throughout the painting giving it a sense of harmony.  I like seeing the progression of your work.

At first glance, I thought that the car looked cockeyed because the roof of the car slants downward to the right and the bottom of the car slants upward to the right.  Then I remember that this is very old and has been sitting out in the elements possibly for years so things wouldn't be aligned.

It's amazing how the varnish changed the colors.  I'm surprised you could varnish it so soon after finishing it.   

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,997
Points 50,410
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 12:30 PM
Holly, great job on the rusty old car. I am sure your friend will love it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 5:20 PM

Sammy - The thing that bothers me is not the cocksided way the cab sits in the snow but the angle of the back part going back to the rear wheels - - it still bothers me, but I doubt Amy (my friend who is going to get it) will notice.  Working on this one was a real encouragement to get by in the swing ot things here - - I kept remembering all the versions everyone else did - especially Fred's.

I was probably pushing the envelope by varnishing it now, but I really want to get it to her before her first anniversary.  It's was finished and dry to the the touch when I went back in and did some glazing - which doesn't take long to dry.  It had been sitting for about 2 more weeks before I varnished it.  I think it will be dry enough to frame by maybe next week.

Amy's first anniversary is in March - - I told her before her wedding if she did not pick out a painting or give me a hint what she would like to have, that she may be sorry.  'Cause if she didn't, I would just do what I wanted and give it to her and she would just have to live with it. HA!  I have emailed back and forth with her mother a bunch before we came up with this ref. photo - - they both like trucks and they are HUGE USC Gamecock fans - so I killed two birds with one stone!

Holly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 3 Jan 2013 8:41 PM

Sam, I just went to this month's posting to look at Holly's truck and noticed Haidyn's photo. This is the one on which your blog painting is based, I'm sure. My friend and fellow artist Crescent and I think it is one of the loveliest, most luminous paintings we've ever seen of a person's face.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 3 Jan 2013 8:47 PM

Holly, a beautiful painting of the abandoned truck. The bronzes are lovely, and having lived in the country at one time, I can attest to the fact that you've captured it perfectly. In addition, the "leaning" actually makes it more realistic. Old trucks were used until the last possible vestige of life was gone from them - I can't remember ever seeing one that was shipshape and square.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Jan 2013 9:49 PM

Alex, my goodness, what a compliment.  You've made my day - or should I say night.  Yes, my colored pencil painting of Haidyn was based on that photo and my painting of it is posted on page 7 of this thread.  Haidyn is a pretty little girl and a good subject.

Page 13 of 13 (194 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13 | RSS