pastel pencils

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
evien wrote
on 10 Oct 2011 7:36 AM

Hi Im trying to learn pastel pencils, keep finding plenty of info for the pastels, but would like to see something about the pencils, and how to kind of thing, any suggestions anybody, would be appreciated,

evien.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,105
pagnes wrote
on 10 Oct 2011 9:19 AM

I use derwent pastels pencils, they are useful for detailed work, you can keep  your hands clean. You need a special sharpener as they are difficult to sharpen.

I use them in combination with other pastels (derwent, contè, rembrandt)

I've just finished this

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Points 1,265
Tom Perry wrote
on 10 Oct 2011 11:56 PM

There is a lot of help to be had by doing a google search "using pastel pencils"  I got over 1.45 million hits.

One of them was:

http://www.creativityunlimited.com.au/Files/Files/Tips%20and%20Techniques/web_pastel_techniques.pdf

By Jenny Hill using Derwent Pastel Pencils.

You may also enjoy watching several of the videos by Colin Bradley you will see him listed in the link above of you can do a separate search using his name.

Like pagnes I use Derwents and like them very much.  I have a full set of 72 of the new formula pastel pencils as well as the full set of 90 of the older ones.  Since I'm somewhat of an art supply junky I have set of several other brands also.

Tom

See my gallery and blog here:

http://community.how-to-draw-and-paint.com/profile/TomPerry

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
evien wrote
on 12 Oct 2011 5:07 PM

Hi,

Thank you, for your reply much appreciated. I am a member of the Colin Bradley site.

evien

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
evien wrote
on 12 Oct 2011 5:11 PM

Hi

Thank you pagnes, am also interested in portraiture, I am using the pitt pencils, finding them quite a bit harder than the derwent, I have a few of both, love the portrait.

evien

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS