acrylic painting style

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
Senemark wrote
on 29 Aug 2011 10:25 AM

Hi, I have been researching and trying to find the technique for an acrylic splash style used in abstract painting. Artists such as Micael Lang and Osnat Tzadok use it freqently. I have attached an example painting. Can you tell me how this technique is done?

Thanks so much

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 592
Points 5,150
on 29 Aug 2011 12:24 PM

Hi—

This is a good question and it is difficult to answer without seeing the original work. The size of the original could play a role in this . However, I'll take a guess at this and maybe others will have a better answer.

I believe that these forms and color effects were, for the most part, painted conventionally. I believe this is the case rather than the artist using some quick technique such as a resist method or foil press-on.  I say painted "conventionally for the most part" because the artist could have employed some off-beat method of establishing some basic forms and then elaborated on them from that point. A lot of the edges of the forms look a bit contrived rather than the spontaneous results of an applied technique. An example of this would be in the upper right edges of the yellow shapes at the left. The upper, center area of the blue-green forms and the lower right pink shapes look like there has been deliberate work by the artist. Also. it looks like there has been a lot of glazing of various colors —and in many layers of the work while in progress.

Paul Sullivan

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
on 30 May 2014 8:46 PM

Encaustic. A wax paint applied and then reheated to manipulate.  That's why the shapes have such a clean fluidity type feel.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS