Egg Tempera thread

This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 140
jbrisbin wrote
on 2 Feb 2012 2:04 PM

Just came across a post on the eggtempera.com forum about this video. Apparently the company that did the production might still have copies for sale. I just sent them an email to find out.

http://www.eggtempera.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
PhilBoo wrote
on 11 Mar 2012 1:06 PM

Newbie here...Older than dirt..but I occasionally try my hand with egg tempera. Here in Louisiana the humidity makes it

an "air conditioned" experience...and you have to be careful where you set a painting to dry...ants love eggs..

I've used Frederic's Gesso Mix...and tried the much ballyhooed Clayboard by Ampersand...mixed feelings about the clayboard...found it works better to size it with an egg wash before painting.

You do very good work...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 594
Points 11,540
on 2 Oct 2012 3:30 PM

I'm beginning a painting in the medium of 'tempera grassa', or egg-oil medium. This gives an effect with some of the characteristics of egg tempera (quick drying, detailed work) and some of oil (slightly stronger colours, possibly some blending). The medium is 2/3rds egg yolk and 1/3 stand oil and damar varnish. I'm preparing the true gesso panel, an MDF sheet 24" x 48" be inning with the application of a hot solution of rabbit skin glue. This will be followed by about six layers (on both sides) of a creamy white mixture of the rabbit skin glue and gypsum (whiting, chalk). I've posted some of the information on my Facebook art page here: http://www.facebook.com/fergusryan.art

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 594
Points 11,540
on 11 Jan 2013 2:33 PM

This is the first painting in which I have used egg-oil medium, or tempera grassa. The medium is one egg yolk, with a teaspoon of half stand oil and half Dammar varnish. It's 24" x 48" approximately, on a true gesso panel.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 594
Points 11,540
on 1 Feb 2013 8:31 AM

ISLAND REQUIEM is the latest tempera grassa I've completed. It's 24" x 36" on true gesso panel, and the limited colour range includes terre verte, raw umber, red ochre, yellow ochre, lemon yellow, cobalt blue, and ivory black. The design is strongly abstract, with a number of diagonal arrow shapes interacting—house/shadow, sea/sky, distant headland, near island surface.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 5 Feb 2013 7:56 PM

Thanks for posting this Fergus, it's interesting to see.

NZJen

Comments and critiques welcome

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS