watercolour portraiture

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
sparkzy wrote
on 21 Jun 2011 11:52 PM

I am experienced with oils but want to paint watercolour portraits and I don't know whether it is best to keep the paper wet right through the process or up until a certain stage or only at certain stages and just soften edges, etc. Can someone provide some basic advice on this - it seems to be difficult to get a book on this topic for WC beginners.

cheers, sparkzy

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155
carin-anne wrote
on 21 Aug 2011 12:29 PM

Sparkzy,  I'm going to sound like a commercial,  but I recently purchased the DVD by Mary Whyte on painting portraits in watercolor and she addresses just that issue.  I too work almost exclusively in oil,  but have started doing some watercolor portraits.  I found the DVD to be extremely helpful.  She shows that sometimes you want the paper wet and sometimes dry depending on the type of edge you want.  I've read lots of books on the subject but to actually see her paint and explain each step was very helpful to me.  

Good luck!

Carin

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 175
on 21 Aug 2011 1:30 PM

I agree with Carin. Sometimes it's just easier to see it. Although I have not seen that particular video. I keep my paper wet most of the time, but that doesn't mean parts of it are not dry. I usually keep the area I'm working on pretty wet. Just remember that where the paper is wet, that's will the paint will go. If you don't want the paint to run in a certain place, keep that part dry.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS