Image Size and Resize

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,685
Karyn wrote
on 4 Feb 2009 11:25 AM | Locked

I've noticed a lot of questions lately about how to resize an image, and a lot of posts lately with large files.  Thought I would pop in and help solve some of those issues.

On this site, images should be no more than 140 kb.  Members don't have unlimited space, so it is essential that we stick to this limit in order to maximize the space that is here.

100kb sounds like a small image, but you can still get a 500 -600 pixel wide image with a good resolution at that limit.

You can change either the pixel dimensions or the resolution or both to resize your image.

For those of you that would like some background, pixel dimensions are the size of the image in width and height.  The image below is 500 pixels wide.

The image below is 200 pixels wide with the same resolution.

Changing the overall width by changing the pixel count does change the overall image size in terms of kb.  The top image here was 92 kb, but the bottom one was only 17 kb.

Both Macs and PCs have resizing tools in the system.  For a PC, it is called the Image Resizer, and it should be  found by right clicking on the image.  On a Mac, you can resize in Preview.  Photoshop also has resizing tools, and I've found this quick resizer online:  http://www.resize2mail.com/

Keeping the resolution (ppi or pixels per inch) around 200 will keep your image sharp, but you can lower your resolution to get an even smaller image. 

For more detailed information on image resizing, I'd suggest doing some online searches and playing with your resizing tools to see what works best for youl

Here are a few links that might be helpful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digital_image_resizing.html

If you have other tips on resizing that you think would help, please do post and share.

And as always, post questions, too!  Smile

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 333
Points 4,645
Trusted Users
judyl40 wrote
on 4 Feb 2009 11:45 AM

Good info, Karyn. Thanks! Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 61
Points 875
yewtree99 wrote
on 1 Apr 2009 6:48 PM

Thanks karen that solves a lot of my problems!

James

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 1,150
Morris2 wrote
on 1 Oct 2009 7:02 PM

I have resized the images to less than 100kb, and still cannot load them.  What am I doing wrong?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,685
Karyn wrote
on 2 Oct 2009 1:33 PM

Hello Morris,

When you say you cannot load them, what happens?  Do you have an error message?  Does the site seem like its loading, but nothing actually shows up?  Are the images in either a jpeg or gif format?

Karyn

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 1,150
Morris2 wrote
on 2 Oct 2009 2:33 PM

Hi Karyn,

Thanks for responding.  I didn't get an error message, and the site seems like its loading, but nothing shows up.  The files are jpegs from my picture files.  I followed your post about resizing, because when I first tried loading, my files were too large.  I lowerd the kbs to 70, and 92.  When I went to preview, The titles and descriptions were there , but the images never showed up. 

Thanks,

Morris

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,221
Points 51,425
Margo5 wrote
on 3 Oct 2009 5:40 PM

Thank you, Karyn, it will probably take awhile for me to get my brain around this, but it is good to know where to find this information.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 894
Points 1,467,685
Karyn wrote
on 5 Oct 2009 9:54 AM

Hi Morris,

That does happen on occasion, and it is probably nothing that you are doing.  It seems to be that many people are uploading at once and some images don't seem to make it.  I can always go in an delete the blank spots for you.  Keep uploading and let me know how it goes, if for some reason you can't get anything to show up at any time. 

Sure, Margo.  I'll be here if you have questions,

Karyn

Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
savyfairy wrote
on 8 Apr 2013 5:11 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have asked three different people this question and I got three different answers, which left me more confused then when I started. Quick, concise & easy answers, just what I need.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS