CHALLENGE # 4 - JAN. 17 - FEB. 14, 2011

This post has 423 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 17 Jan 2011 8:22 AM

Welcome to  ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE # 4! 

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all if these photos. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure.   In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date:   - February 14, 2011

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note:  When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post.  We are gaining new participants and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what.  An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts.  (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, I will post them in the “challenge CHATTER” thread later today.)

(To submit photos for these challenges, please start a "conversation" with me here on this forum and attach your photo or photos.)

Happy Painting!

Challenge Photos:

1.  Pear Still Life - submitted by A Gal Named Sam

2. Back Off - submitted by A Gal Named Sam

#3 - Jen's Tunnel - submitted by turpentine45

#4 - Winter Scene - photo by Carol Martin, Hendersonville, NC, used with her permission

#5 - This one is not a photo, but a THEME - paint or create something directly related to VALENTINE'S DAY.

Enjoy - and - - ready, set, go!!!  Have fun.

Holly

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 365
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Jan 2011 11:18 AM

Yea! New challenges and no flowers!!!!! Jen

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 17 Jan 2011 11:39 AM

Jen - Your lucky day, huh?  Guess you are glad I didn't have time to find an appropriate Valentine related floral so just added a Valentine Theme, instead.  Big Smile  I'll take it easy on the florals -  for a little while, at least. Surprise  My original intention was to include a landscape, a still life and a floral and maybe one more "something" so there would be at least something "comfortable" for everyone. 

Holly

Holly

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 17 Jan 2011 3:07 PM

Holly: I am sooooo sad you didn't find any Valentine flowers. Not! Broken HeartJen

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 17 Jan 2011 5:41 PM

Hi, this is one of the three pears done in pen-and-ink (Rapidograph and Pantone markers) plus white oil pastel. Was conscious of new lesson on values. I'm going to try again in another medium. C&Cs welcome.

\

Alex

PS The shadow looks like a misshapen tortilla - better next time!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 18 Jan 2011 6:09 AM

Alex, great darks and wonderful bright colors.  The texture you got is very interesting.  The pear has dimension.  I'd like to see how it looks without being outlined in black.  That may make it look flat. The shadow is fine, it's the outline that is defining it.   Love the stem.  Sammy

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 18 Jan 2011 8:32 AM

Sammy, thanks very much for your critique. No outlining on next version. Your work is exquisite and I appreciate your advice. Alex

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 18 Jan 2011 10:09 AM

Alex - Love the colors in your pear.  I agree with Sammy about the black outline.  To me, it's a little distracting but it does identify your shapes and masses.  You got good shadow compostion - including the reflected lights.  Shadows tend to get lighter as they get further away from the shape that is casting the shadow, and you got that right on, too.  Good job. 

Holly

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Jan 2011 10:13 AM

Alex: Nice job on the pear. The colours are right  and the shadows and highlights a spot on. I agree the outline distracts but overall a good job. Jen

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 18 Jan 2011 10:15 AM

Susan sent me her version of the pears - - all the way from Maui - on vacation and doing her challenges - - how dedicated is that?!!!

I cropped out all but the painting but that's all I did to it.

This was submitted on behalf of asusanrae.

Holly

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 18 Jan 2011 10:17 AM

I like it, Susan.  Maybe a little dark on the background colors, but this is wonderful.

Holly

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 18 Jan 2011 2:54 PM

Susan, you need to be applauded for working on art while vacationing.  Great colors.  Putting it on that red surface with dark blue shadows and bg makes it look very up-to-date and mod.  You have wonderful textures on the pears. You do need some dark shadows on the pears themselves to mold them into  rounded shapes. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 18 Jan 2011 2:58 PM

Here's my painting "A Pair of Pears" using Pan Pastels.  This is the first time I've used the Pan Pastels and I can't pass judgement on them yet because I made a poor choice of paper.  I have some free samples of of U Art 500 and used that.  U Art paper is the same as sandpaper and I didn't like it with these pastels.  Anyhow, here is my first attempt with both the medium and the paper.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 18 Jan 2011 3:04 PM

Is it okay if I critique my own pears?  Now that I see it posted here, I realize that the shadow is too purple.  We don't want the shadow to complete with the subject for attention.  I will put a little yellow on it to gray it down.  Also, maybe I should have put the stem of the golden pear in the shadow, too.  I may play with it some more and then post it again.

By the way, if you get some suggestions on your posted pieces and work on it some more, we would all like to see the changes.  That can be a real learning experience for everybody.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,718
Points 44,790
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Jan 2011 3:44 PM

Sammy: I like the way you have made the pears in complimentary colours so they play off each other. Agree the purple is just a tad too dark. Maybe some of the orange would reflect onto the green pear where they touch? I love the piece overall. Nice job! Did you just use the paper colour as background. What colour is it? I have wanted to try Uart as I love the wallis. I think it comes in several degrees of courseness from 400 up. I have used pastelmat and love it with my pastel pencils it might work well with Pans too. At first look it doesn't look like much but it grabs pastel well and it makes less dust.. I never tried pans but they sound a bit fiddly with all those aplicators and what-have-yous! Big Smile

Page 1 of 29 (424 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS