This may sound redundant, but...

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 6 Dec 2010 10:33 AM

Since I am so new to painting and my mother, who used to paint has no experience with acrylics or watercolors, I have a simple question.

I live in West Palm Beach, FL. We are supposed to get to around freezing tonight. Not at all like I used to know about this town. We never used to get this cold in the Winter. Since I am unable to paint in the house (rules of my mother-in-law (MIL) the owner of said house), I am doing all painting outside in the carport. I have just bought a cabinet that is molded plastic with doors that can be locked and has 3 shelves each able to hold 60 pounds, that I am using for all my art supplies for now. I have recently found out that I have more in the garage in packing boxes I need to get from my scrap-booking stuff. I have Liquitex and Reeves brands of Acrylic paint and Art Color brand watercolors in tubes. All of my paint is in tubes. I also have my gesso and retarder in bottles. Will these be safe in this cabinet that is placed in the carport against the wall? The cabinet does get sunlight against one side during the day, but tonight we are expecting the freeze. Would I be better with bringing the paint into the house for the night? I can arrange that if need be. I will just need to find a place that will not upset my MIL. She is VERY set in her ways and I don't want to upset the applecart, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any help!

Kristina

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
sasdebosque wrote
on 6 Dec 2010 6:06 PM

I would put an extra blanket over the cabinet and shelves, if it isn't too late.  Most of you materials will be ok.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 3,900
kmbjbb wrote
on 6 Dec 2010 7:57 PM

Thanks for answering - I went ahead and brought the paints, gesso and retarder into the house. I made sure my spray bottle of water was empty and that there was no other liquid substance in the cabinet. Didn't think I had much, but I filled a milk crate with paints and such. And here, I will be getting more for Christmas.

Kristina-

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

C & C are always welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS