Proper matting, framing

This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 3,965
DeborahJane2 wrote
on 2 Nov 2010 5:20 PM

I am wondering what the standard requirements are for juried shows in watercolor, Matting and framing have me confused. Sometimes a standard white mat just does not do a painting justice.  I am sure this has been covered before somewhere on this site but I'd sure appreciate the advice of someone who's been there, done that, It has been suggested that I try for some of the more respected watercolor societies in my area and frankly, I'm a little daunted.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 185
on 2 Nov 2010 6:12 PM

umm...what is matting ?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,263
Points 51,705
Margo5 wrote
on 2 Nov 2010 6:30 PM

Matting is used mainly with watercolor and pastel paintings to protect them from the glass in the frame.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,465
Points 51,475
Trusted Users
on 2 Nov 2010 9:40 PM

Deborah, first I am not an expert but when I showed my watercolors each juried show would have their specific requirements, example: size limits, size limits that required Plexiglas instead of glass.  As a general rule watercolors are shown with a simple white or off white mat, glass or Plexiglas and a simple frame.  The watercolor painting was to be the focus not how well the matting and frame looked.  The Judge wants to see your painting.  But after saying all of this, I had a watercolor juried into a show that was free-floating on a bluish gray paper in an off the rack mat and frame.  Go figure! One of the great things about the internet is the ability to go to each of the watercolor societies and read their prospectus for each show.  I've seen your work and I think you ought to try entering your work in area watercolor societies. Good luck

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 3,965
DeborahJane2 wrote
on 4 Nov 2010 5:27 AM

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate the input.. Also, the nice comment :)  I am going to try to submit something but I"ll have to find out about the plexiglass thing. I might have to make some adjustments!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,263
Points 51,705
Margo5 wrote
on 5 Nov 2010 8:45 AM

Great information, Paul, thanks for sharing it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,263
Points 51,705
Margo5 wrote
on 5 Nov 2010 8:45 AM

Great information, Paul, thanks for sharing it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 3,965
DeborahJane2 wrote
on 7 Nov 2010 5:03 PM

Thanks to you also, Paul. Really great info. I appreciate the time you took . I will follow your advice. Now to the store for plexiglass in various sizes:)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
on 16 Nov 2010 7:12 AM

Given that I also participate in art festivals, buyers seem to prefer the white or off-white mats and simple frames, as the painting will immediately hang nicely where they envision it.

I try to keep my paintings standard sizes, as the costs for custom frames and mats can become ridiculously expensive. And, if I would want to change out a painting, using standard sizes makes it much easier.

- Wendy

"it works 'cause I don't know any better"

my On-Line studio

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 469
Points 5,575
patrickart wrote
on 18 Nov 2010 10:40 AM

really good information paul.

have never used plexiglas before. have you ever had any problems with the surface scraching? i would like to give it a try. the cost of glass is just getting out of hand.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 469
Points 5,575
patrickart wrote
on 19 Nov 2010 7:18 AM

Plexiglas more expensive than glass? wow. I was hoping it would be cheaper. I am really looking for a cheaper alternate to glass. I feel my work is not quite there yet for interning into the watercolor society. maybe someday soon.

I appreciate you sharing your great knowledge of the wonderful world of watercolor.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
KAPurtill wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 5:31 PM

I'm trying to enter a watercolor show that requires Plexiglas on paintings over a certain measurement.  I am having trouble finding the larger size that I need.  I have not been able to locate a place, even on the internet,  that has a 35 x 30 size - the largest I have found is 32".  Any suggestions on where larger Plexiglas can be found? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,395
on 14 Nov 2012 6:25 PM

KAP—

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time finding a larger size of Plexiglas. Have you tried local professional framing companies. I have not had a problem with them supplying Plexiglas for large framing when it was needed. I think the largest I have needed was about 40".

Paul

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,263
Points 51,705
Margo5 wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 9:28 PM

I don't remember exactly what size I got, but Lowe's has fairly large sizes and they will cut it for you if you give them the right measurements.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS