Old man portrait

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 1,220
iakovidis wrote
on 24 Oct 2010 11:07 AM

I would appreciate any free critique about this oil painting on canvas 25cm X 34cm.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 24 Oct 2010 2:08 PM

Ah You're a busy bee! Who are these elderly Greek men you are painting? You are doing a fabulous job.

I was wondering if you have photoshop or the ability to turn your image into a black and white image. I think this would help you tremendously with getting the value of your colors.

There are a few areas in which your values need minor adjusting. The area under the nose near the moustache needs to be lightened. Also either the shadow on the shoulder needs to be lightened or the entire side of the face needs to be darkened. (Go with the easy fix of shoulder, but it would help darkening the temple and back neck area.)Check your values in this area especially the suit, collar and back neck.

Now notice the area above his right eyebrow along the base of the hat. The base of the hat is much darker, yet the face has maintained the same value. This area of the face going toward the ear needs to be a darker value.

Lastly, notice how his left arm stands out against the background. There is no blue in the background.By adding blue areas to the background near his shoulder, the shilouette  is less strong. consider limiting the blue in this area to his clothing. Just my opinion.

Be careful these are only minor changes.

Again a very good job

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 1,220
iakovidis wrote
on 25 Oct 2010 10:53 AM

Sincerely thank you for your precise observations. I really believe that your opinion is usefull and helpfull.

I find your idea about turning the image into black and white very interesting. Greetings.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS