Lesser Known Artists - Share

This post has 34 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 10 Jul 2011 7:06 PM

Not sure if anyone's been checking out the various artists and posts that I've been mentioning here. Anyway, I just found this gem. http://thehiddenplace.wordpress.com Talk about beautiful work. Check out the many archives. There is something here for everyone. Photorealistic to semi-abstract. If you find someone you like, just google their name to see more. Enjoy!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 5,815
on 11 Jul 2011 9:32 AM

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 30 Aug 2011 4:18 PM

For some reason, I was just notified by email about your February post Robert. Yes I like balderas' work - very painterly.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 10 Sep 2011 7:34 PM

Anyone who is familiar with Hi-Fructose magazine, check out Mark Ryden

http://liambean.hubpages.com/hub/New-Art-Conceptual-Realism-Mark-Ryden

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 581
Points 5,020
on 11 Sep 2011 10:25 AM

Hi Kat—

Taking your suggestion, I checked Mark Ryden's work. I have to agree with you that his work is exceptional. 

His work looks a lot like an illustration and fine art style that was very successful in Europe in the 1980s and 90s. As I recall, the style was originated by an Italian illustrator and featured in Graphis Annual for years. I'm not real familiar with Hi-Fructose, although I've checked several issues on line after reading your posting. It is quite obvious that the work is very good technically . 

Generally, the work in Hi-Fructose is presented as exploring the leading edge of conceptual realism — a new surrealistic venture, so to speak. I can't help but think most of it is a rehash of territory explored over and over again more than 20 or 30 years ago.

Kat, from reading your postings, I have great regard for your taste and your knowledge of our art.  Please forgive me if I am too critical. I'm getting older, so I have a license to be a crank some of the time.

Paul Sullivan

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 11 Sep 2011 12:02 PM

Critical? How? I don't  see you as being critical. Everyone is entitled to disagree. I just like to share interesting artists that I run across. I would take this style back even further. I recall the roots of this style back in the early 70s maybe even late 60s. As a kid I liked those cute sad large headed kittens with big eyes and a tear drop. (http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2009/06/sad-eyed_kid_paintings.php,  http://www.etsy.com/listing/66561267/gig-big-eyed-cat-poster-clean-sad) This is the stuff of dogs playing poker and those wacky stickers that were spoofs of products. You'd get them in gum or cereal I can't remember.

I am drawn to this style because it reminds me of these days. The work is realism but not "copyist" there is definitely imagination and stylism involved.

Hi-Fructose was big a few years back, the trend in illustration has shifted, but it's still fun to look at.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 581
Points 5,020
on 11 Sep 2011 4:48 PM

Kat—

Yes, that's what I get out of all this stuff—it's fun to look at.  And, if it's fun to look at, it has merit. 

Speaking of fun to look at, have you seen Illustration magazine? It is a gem but there are a few strange things going on there.

Again, speaking of fun to look at:  If any of you are former illustrators and remember back to the glory days of illustration, you may remember a real master of the craft, Robert Fawcett.  Fawcett was always referred to as the "illustrator's illustrator". There is a new book just published on him and it is a hum-dinger. I realize that I'm talking about illustration at this point, not fine art—but as Kat says, "It's fun to look at." 

Paul

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 14 Nov 2011 5:36 PM

Here is another to check out, Stanka Kordic. She graduated a year before me. The essence of her work is similar to her painting when she was about 20 -22. As one of her instructors commented, "She is a natural" Her brushstrokes are more confident and the work is more elaborate.  Her opening portrait on her website has been in my mind's eye for decades. (I have a thing about magical forest settings not to mention ethereal landscapes.) Fabulous!

http://www.alternativeportraiture.com/HOME__.html Also google her name.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 120
leemo wrote
on 25 Dec 2011 2:56 PM

try

http://www.virtualtart.co.nz/

this is an artsight run in Taranaki New Zealand. we're that little country way way down in the bottom of the west pacific. about 4 million people iin all. we have our so called outstanding artists but then like most places there are the people who are not leaders. this sight has been going for some time and is run by dale copeland for taranaki artists. taranaki is the name of the singular mountain that dominates the landscape something like mount fuji in japan.dale runs a world collage exhibition each year, selects images and posts them. her own work well look it up with the likes of paul hutchinson, marianne muggeridge, roger morris, waldo hartley etc.

no we're not american but still paint in the western tradition.

lee aka mo.

ps no i am not listed there as i live south by an hour or two in a town called wanganui

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,980
Jay Babina wrote
on 27 Dec 2011 11:31 AM

KatPaints thanks for sharing all these great artists. You mention you went to school with one of them - do you have a site?

Here's one of my most favorite favorites. He's young - go to traditional and check the figures and cityscapes. 

Jermey Mann - CA artist

http://www.redrabbit7.com/

Paul: I think illustrators never got the credit they deserve for being great artists. Art is art wether you do it as an assignment for money or from inspiration.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 27 Dec 2011 8:13 PM

thanks Leemo and Jay.

I agree Jay, Illustrators are overlooked. Good art is good art. Many artists of my age majored in illustration rather than fine arts/painting because of the heavy emphasis on abstract art, myself included. There is so much bad art in the world any work or art or design that shows real talent or ingenuity is a pleasure to view.

Jay, I hope to have a site some time next year. I've returned to painting after not painting for many many years and still feel that I'm rusty. I work full time as a designer and I've been doing mainly plein air painting on the weekends. It's difficult to devote much time when there is so little of it, but this year I'm going to push myself and I made it a goal to paint enough paintings to create an online show. So ... in time.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 7 Jan 2012 5:43 PM

I just ran across this person's blog on "20 representational painters to be inspired by in 2012." He lists a few of my favorites and a few I need to check out.

http://frankgardner.blogspot.com/2011/12/20-representational-painters-to-be.html

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 28 Jan 2012 4:21 PM

I recently saw a painting by Frederick Judd Waugh. If you're interested in waves and seascapes, he's the guy to check out. What you cannot see digitally is the subtle shades in thick impasto. The piece I saw was about 4'

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 29 Jan 2012 5:05 PM

Here's another - Katie O'Hagan. I just saw her painting, Life Raft, at the Butler. It's a very captivating portrait.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 24 Sep 2012 5:16 PM

Here's another:

Elizabeth Tolley

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS