I LOVE Pastels!!

This post has 13 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 7,200
thornburgart wrote
on 6 May 2010 10:13 AM

Pastels were a natural progression from the detailed black and white drawings I did in school, I didn't know about paint mixing. I sold the B&W drawings, but could never get the prices up.

A very successful artist told me "you need to paint in color to sell, start with pastels, they are drawing also and the colors are already mixed." So I did and now have a 30 or so year love affair with them. I paint and sell in all mediums now, but nothing can touch the magical feel I can get from pastel! I get more money from my oils, but I try to steer my clients to pastel first!.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 7,200
thornburgart wrote
on 6 May 2010 5:25 PM

thornburgart:
A recently sold pastel of mine.  I Love Pastel!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 2,555
Dominique8 wrote
on 7 May 2010 7:02 AM

Pastels are an amazing medium, and I think by far the most challenging. After using oils, acrylics etc, I find it a challenge to get that same intensity as paint, and yet keep the painting tru to pastels. Great work!

Dominique

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 403
Points 6,565
Trusted Users
on 14 May 2010 8:26 AM

I started with pastels back in high school - the old Nupastels - hard as a rock. It wasn’t until college that I tried my first pastel pencils - Conte. I was hooked!! Now I work in all media, but for my pastels I use a combination of Rembrandts, Le Carre, and Conte pencils. Your work is wonderful - do you have a website so that I can view more?

Do you work on paper or board? I use Ampersand Pastelbord and Mi Tientes papers.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 7,200
thornburgart wrote
on 14 May 2010 8:55 AM

To me Conte is the ultimate for fine detail, because one can sharpen them to a point. You can get a good point with a sharped Nupastel also. My absolute fave pastel is a German made Schmincke, They are the richest, most butter like pastel out there, when you lay down a line, its so rich, it looks like a oil brush stroke. Sennelier are great too, they have the largest amount of different colors. I lay large areas with the real soft, then finish with the harder pastels to form edges and more detail. I had trouble with Rembrandts, they had a lot of hard rock like places in them, but another pastellist told me I probably just got a bad batch and he loves them. I use all kinds of surfaces, paper, matboard, etc. I'm fixin to try something new, I saw a product at Home Depot called chalkboard paint, I'm going to paint a masonite panel with it and see if that will work for pastels. The prepared pastel boards you can buy are in my view toooo expensive. I'll let you know how that works, if it does work, it will be the most durable inexpensive substrate going. I show on many sites, the easiest way to see them is just to google search- <Artist, Matthew Thornburg>. Nice talking to you, I love talking pastels!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
tim moore wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 4:02 AM

So how did the chalkboard paint work out?saw that the other day,,just a starting artist,and i love pastels.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Unca wrote
on 24 Jan 2013 6:18 AM

I just signed up on this site. I clicked onto pastels (my favourite at the moment), saw this cowboy and nearly fell off my chair. This is one unreal painting.  Regards  Graeme

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
on 6 Feb 2013 4:07 AM

I think pastel drawings are the most beautiful and you can see the texture.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 40
Elements123 wrote
on 22 Jan 2014 12:13 AM

This looks great. How did you get the vest to look so much like leather?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 200
on 15 Feb 2014 6:39 AM

Hi

it might here is not a place to ask but please help me .I've bought a 60colors box of pastel -really expensive-but not oil pastel its dry ones .i don't know if its possible to paint realistic painting by this kind of pastel or not . actually for realistic portrait which one is better , oily one or dry one? thank you

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
tim moore wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 8:34 AM

check out Ruben Belloso Adorna..his hyper realistic pastels are compared to photo's..it can be done with either media.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 2,555
Dominique8 wrote
on 15 Feb 2014 10:17 AM

Dry pastels are absolutely the best. My speciality is realism in portraits and wildlife, and dry pastels in portraits are amazing. Have a look at my pastel portraits for some guidance.

enjoy!

Dominique

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 200
on 15 Feb 2014 10:28 AM

thank you all it made me hopeful that i was not mistaken by choosing this sort of pastels thank you so much

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
neldarez wrote
on 27 Feb 2014 5:40 PM

that is incredible......wow, you are really gifted!  I'm a newbie at an older age and this just amazes me how good that painting is....thank you for sharing

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS