Senora Valdez (wip)

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 24 Apr 2010 2:44 PM

I started out with a completely different pose in my prelim sketch than the image I decided to use for this portrait of a woman is probably one of the nicest people I know. She felt like my painting made her look older though, so I think eventually I would like to do a more glammed up portrait of her when she has the time. I took a sligtly different approach to this painting by doing the background first and then starting with the main focal point. The first image was done on arches coldpress 6x10" while the second and final painting is being done on arches rough 14x20".  Any comments would be helpful, thank you. -Vaughn

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 879
Points 11,325
MaryML wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 6:31 AM

The second is esp. beautiful.  Beautiful skin, expression, hair highlights, background.... and her kindness shines through

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 7:30 AM

Thank you Mary, I forgot to mention that the second painting is a work in progress. I'm glad her personality is shining through this portrait, I really wanted to get this one right. I've done some work on this portrait since when I posted the firt pics. I'm slowly trying to build up the clothing and working on her skin very slowly, because I want to preserve as much transparency as possible.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 380
Points 5,850
on 25 Apr 2010 1:19 PM

Very nice - love the background colours and the pose - very thoughtful looking.  Also like how you have placed your portrait on the page.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 1,405
watermike wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 1:19 PM

This looks great - you obviously got her likeness because both paintings look like the same woman! I do like the lighting in the second the best - and it looks finished to me.  Looking forward to see what else you do.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,221
Points 51,415
Margo5 wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 1:41 PM

This is looking good and you have done a very good job of keeping the colors fresh.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 2:39 PM

Thank you Valerie. I was really trying a different approach by painting the background first and placing the focal point low on the page, but I got lucky with the results so far.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 2:41 PM

Thank you Margo. I think you bring up a great point about maintaining the fresheness of the colors, which I find it really difficult to do. This time around I havent done much to the face, because I'm pleased with the tranparency so far, although there are some more details I have to add.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 2:46 PM

Thanks WaterMike(I like the screenname). My first painting was more of a color sketch, but I think it helped me with the final painting I'm working on, because I already worked with some of the same features in my sketch, so it wasn't that difficult to paint in the final piece even though I went with a different pose. I still have a few more details in her clothing, hair, and also gradually working up her face, but after that i should be finished and ready to file it away.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS