Are Acrylics More Environmentally Friendly?

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,765
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 9 Dec 2008 5:47 PM

What's the bottom line, does anyone know?

I know a major perceived disadvantage of oils is the thinners situation.

But how about disposal?  I've been cleaning up at the sink and right down the drain and read somewhere recently that's a bad practice environmentally.  So is it like false security?

If acrylics are genuinely a better for the environment choice over oils, maybe that alone will gain respect of the medium?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,890
Trusted Users
on 10 Dec 2008 6:40 AM

Robin, excellent question!

The town dump where I live has suggested that when we have left over latex house paint that we set it outside to dry until it's hardened, and then we can dispose of it in the trash.  Maybe wash brushes, but let the left over stuff harden and then throw it away. I'm not an expert on this, so if anyone knows better, please let us know.

When compared to oils, acrylics are more environmentally friendly to me! I don't have to worry about breathing in solvent or my paper towels spontaneously combusting. For some reason, oil seems to stick to everything - like it jumps off my palette and brushes onto my clothes, but acrylic seems to stay put.

I clean my oil brushes with soap at the sink, so I can't say which type of paint is better while going down the drain.  What I really have difficulty with... when using oils is the jars of sludge that accummulate.  At least with acrylic, I can let it harden and then throw it in the trash.

www.loriwords.com

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 765
CelesteV3 wrote
on 10 Dec 2008 5:52 PM

I agree absolutely with Lori - having worked with both now, acrylics are far less smelly and messy.  Seems reasonable that the same would be true for disposal issues as is true of latex house paint.

Celeste Vaught

Website / Blog

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,765
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 17 Dec 2008 12:33 PM

Except that it's going down the drain...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 333
Points 4,645
Trusted Users
judyl40 wrote
on 8 Jan 2009 11:36 AM

Yes, this is an excellent question, Robin.

I work with acrylics & water for the most  part, in those welled pallettes. When I'm done, I let them dry till they form a plastic skin, & then soak them so they peel off. Easy enough then to throw the dried skins out, or save in a latex paint can that's destined for the hazardous waste day at the dump.

But yeah, I'm sure the manufacturing of the acrylic paints are not really environmentally friendly. And it's difficult to avoid solvents with oils, although I typically reuse my mineral spirits, letting the oil sludge sink to the bottom & pouring off the top to use again.

I guess the only really environmental paint is egg tempera. At least we know that it's a very permanent medium, & is more or less completely natural. (I want to get there at some point, but one thing at a time. Oils still have to be mastered!)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 700
Points 10,765
Trusted Users
Robin11 wrote
on 10 Jan 2009 4:44 PM

Thanks Judy for the info.  I've only used disposable stuff for acrylics, and I guess you can't avoid some washing out though.

I'm just glad my tiny borough has decided to really recycle this year.  Before this we had to drive our recyclables, which seemed to kind of defeat the purpose, you know?

Is your avatar acylic or oil?  It's gorgeous.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 333
Points 4,645
Trusted Users
judyl40 wrote
on 11 Jan 2009 9:29 PM

Thanks Robin. :) My neighbour up the road had 3 morgan foals this past summer & I took over a thousand shots. (!) I didn't realize just how many photos I took until I started tagging them... not that they were all great photos, mind you. Foals move a lot! I've come to love digital... there's a freedom there that you really need when you try to shoot animals.

Anyway, this is a miniature that I did of the colt. Yep, it's acrylic.

And thank you for being so conscientious about the environment! Yes

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS