Jasmine (WIP)

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 22 Mar 2010 4:59 PM

I've taken a lot of the feedback from the last time I posted and it has been very helpful, particularly the small color sketches. I've been working on this project for a few days now and it's been taking me a little longer, because I'm also writing a tutorial on it as well and I've been photographing my process step by step. The small sketch took me roughly 10-15 minutes and was done on 6"x10" Carnet de Voyage travel book (coldpress). The final painting is being painted on 12"x18" Fabriano (hotpress). So far I'm pleased with my results and I can't wait to finish this one.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,369
Points 49,535
Trusted Users
on 22 Mar 2010 8:22 PM

Vaughn, you are doing a remarkable job with this watercolor portrait.  Incredible skin tones, hair, expression.  Good contrast with lights and shadows.  One minor thing I notice is her left hand. It looks detached from her body as if someone else is reaching into the painting.  Maybe if we could see a little of her arm under her hair. 

You are so talented, I enjoy seeing your work.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,632
Points 26,865
Kisu wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 12:57 AM

This is fantastic, even in its partially finished state.  I love the gesture and the illumination, but I agree with Sharon that maybe a little indication of the shoulder/arm might clarify that it is her hand that we see. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 5,490
patrickart wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 9:14 AM

very well done

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 631
Points 6,180
dania bree wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 9:23 AM

Very Nice Work.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 4:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouraging words. I think I might try and work on a way to attatch her arm to the rest of her body using her hair to suggest it's presence. I've done a little more painting since then and I'm hoping to suggest her arm by playing with the hair more.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 265
whawkins wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 5:30 PM

It looks like you are using black for your shadows. If you are don't. It seems logical, however,  black tends to flatten the image. It also makes the transitions, from shadow to light, look funny when you wash over the color section with it. Besides if you go outside and really look at shadows at first glance they look black, but in reality they have more of a blue or purple shade to them.

You actually want to mix your own "black" , which isn't really black, but it will give your piece a lot more depth.

try mixing,

cobalt blue + burnt siena, or raw umber.

or any other variation of blue and brown.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Points 1,695
vbjennin wrote
on 24 Mar 2010 10:16 AM

Thanks whawkins, I actually never use black, I mix my colors. Black straight is too dark, especially in watercolors, I think it would suck the life out the painting. I tend to use blues and purples and sometimes I mix primaries to create some brown tones. I think for this particular painting, I've had alot of trouble with hotpress paper in general. There is no texture to this paper, so for me, it's a little more difficult to conceal certain things, but since I've worked on the painting I think a little less control of the paints my actually be the key. Working wet on wet has actuallly given me the results I was looking for. Working too dry created an unatractive staining effect that I would usuallly like, but hasn't worked for this paper's texture.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS