Gouache Flamenco Dancer

This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,190
Points 51,180
Margo5 wrote
on 22 Mar 2010 9:48 AM

Kisu, I am so excited for you. You really are such an inspiration to me. I can hardly wait to see your new painting and your website. I can so completely relate to your skirmish with technology. Thank goodness I have my own "IT" guys on hand. I'm not sure that they would be willing to do a website for me though.

I got a chance to take a really fun workshop this week in watercolor and one of the things I am so excited about is the fact that many techniques that she used were techniques that I had come across, but had never seen applied to a whole painting. If you see a technique, you may be excited about it, but not want to use it while you are painting something you like because you are not sure how it is going to work. I think I am going to be much more likely to try some of those techniques now that I have seen them applied at different stages of a painting, and have worked with them on something more than just a sample.

Looking forward to seeing your new gouache painting and am really interested in the information you came across on gouache.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,632
Points 26,865
Kisu wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 12:45 AM

Thanks so much, Margo, I get a lot of inspiration from you, too!  When I'm feeling like I'm spinning my wheels I see your steady resolve and determination to learn things and keep trying things and I dive back in with greater determination.  As for doing a website, maybe you could check with your local community college to see if they have some kind of workshop on it through adult ed.  I knew I couldn't handle a full length course on it, but a workshop was do-able so I decided to take it.  The workshop I attended was a dual thing between the state/local economic development offices and the community college here.

I am very anxious to see how you apply the things you learned in the watercolor workshop, so please post when you have something completed.  Who did you take the workshop with, and was it one day or more than one? 

The site for the gouache info is here:

http://everythinggouache.blogspot.com/

Sorry I couldn't get that in a direct link.  The manton flamenco dancer is done (I think), and tomorrow if it passes the 'photograph test' I'll post it.  By photograph test I mean that if I take a photo of it and look at it on the computer and it doesn't look weird somewhere then I'll post it.  I've found that looking at a photo of a painting or drawing on the computer often helps to spot trouble areas that I don't always pick up in person, for some reason.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,190
Points 51,180
Margo5 wrote
on 23 Mar 2010 6:45 AM

It was a 3-day workshop with Cindy Barron. She does very detailed paintings and I think some of what I learned is going to be easy to apply to oil painting, as well as, watercolor. I like taking workshops from people who use different types of methods because then you can take everything you learn, assimilate it and come out with your own way of painting. I not only learned how to apply some methods that I was already aware of, but I picked up some new information and she has a bubbly fun personality -- so it was a great weekend.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS