Ballpoint Pen Art

This post has 48 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 6 Feb 2010 11:39 PM

Hello fellow artists, my name is Jerry Stith and I’m the founder of an American folk program called Ball Point Pen Art. I’ve been doing art for about fifty-five years and ballpoint pen drawings from 1968. This particular multi colored ballpoint pen drawing was completed with oil based inks only delivered via a ballpoint pen. 

In the old days I used pencils for around five years because drawing was of interest. I liked to erase as a beginner yet realized too much time went in to making changes in spite of a satisfying result. My ballpoint pen could produce a line much like a pencil yet it delivered an ink line. I enjoyed the bold line, dark rich colors, a half tone plus a very long flowing line therefore changing over to a new medium took place within my life.

A ballpoint pen can produce half tone lines from a full tone ink which is absolutely delightful to me as an artist. A ballpoint pen today has an ultra-fine and fine tips for our usage if extraordinary details are important to you as an artist. They also produced the subtlest camera ready graphic or ink lines in history. That’s especially important because it elevates the art world’s sensitivity level or takes us to a brand new point in history.

This particular drawing has many colors such as gold and brown that most artists or people don’t even realize exit. Blending many colored half tone lines works very well in my opinion as seen in this portrait of Mother Teresa. I dedicated this drawing to Mother Teresa because she is a “Sister of Mercy” that dedicated most of her life to helping the untouchables of India. Today, the world is a better place because of her love and desire to help others.

If dark rich colors, blending and producing a beautiful artwork is what you’re interred in achieving a ballpoint pen is available to you worldwide. I certainly hope you folks enjoy this new and up coming art medium and this illustration.

Cheers, Jerry Stith

Jerry Stith

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 15,060
j.b2 wrote
on 7 Feb 2010 2:02 PM

Jerry, I take it that you are using off the shelf ball point pens?

Then laying in color side by side to blend them???

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,185
Points 51,155
Margo5 wrote
on 7 Feb 2010 4:14 PM

Jerry, this really is amazing work. It would be interesting to understand how you have blended the colors.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 12 Feb 2010 1:17 PM

J.B., you're absolutely correct! Please let me collaborate some on the topic. All of the colored ballpoint pens that I currently have did come straight off a stores self. I however travel to many different states, cities and towns therefore the places available was rather numerous. I also have done years of research on the WWW in order to up date my materials in order to help my international audience or fellow artists published at my site.

All ballpoint pens come with an oil based ink!!!!!!!! A ballpoint pen is the only pen system in history that delivers an oil based ink which means all other pens are water based. I'm enclosing a list of twenty multi colored ballpoint pen manufactures I've found in person or on the Web. I use many search engines, topics or titles in my research results. (On my site there are pictures of fifty-on different pens, refills or assorted packages posted on my blog section if you actually seek it.)

http://jerrystith.multiply.com/

1. 10 Superior Quality: 10 colored ballpoint pen pack.
2. ColorTech: 20 colored ballpoint pen pack.
3. Prism: 10 colored ballpoint pen pack
4. 10 Rainbow: colored ballpoint pen pack
5. Jell Tek Rainbow: 7 colored pack
6. Pentel: Firestick 10 colors all in one pen
7. Pentel: Coca-Cola Bear 10 colors all in one pen
8. RoseArt: 6 colored pack
9. A&W: 10 colors in one pen (I’m told yellow is one of those 10 colors)
10. Staedtler 10 colors: ball 432 ice colors
11. Schefield prism 10 ballpointpen colors
12. 10 Color Ball Pen of Assorted
13. Bic Mini Crystal Pens (France)
14. Monteverde
15. Sanford
16. Grand
17. Fisher
18. Reynolds
19. Arty Crafty Rainbow Neon
20. Shanghai Weijun

Hopefully this list and statement will help address your interest J.B.. I noticed J.B. and Margo are both bringing up blending so my next message will cover that topic.

Your friend, Jerry Stith Big Smile

Jerry Stith

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 12 Feb 2010 1:31 PM

This is a photograph of my ballpoint pens that took many years to gather!

Jerry Stith

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 12 Feb 2010 2:39 PM

Jerry Stith

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,185
Points 51,155
Margo5 wrote
on 12 Feb 2010 3:03 PM

Jerry, this is really neat. You have these arranged like pastels.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 12 Feb 2010 3:41 PM

Greetings J.B. and Margo, how is everything going on out there with you? Both of you brought up the blending topic therefore I'll talk about coloring, shading, polishing, refining or blending with three different mediums similar to a ballpoint pen. 

In the old days my mother provided me with several coloring books and some crayons. After that I worked my way towards colored and regular pencils. All three of those mediums work much like a ballpoint pen. Crayons and colored pencils are just about the same in most all ways when it comes to coloring, layering colors, blending polishing or generally finishing off an artwork in my opinion. A graphite pencil does everything just like a colored pencil or a crayon excepted its all completed in black and white.

All three of those mediums are just like a ballpoint pen in many different ways. I always start off all my artworks with light lines and darken everything as I progress throughout the picture till completion. A regular pencil and a ballpoint pictures are designed differently because there is no white ink or lead colors. All high lights with a pencil or ballpoint art planned out ahead of time while colored pencils and crayons whites are most often added at the very end with me.

That means much more mental planning goes into a pencil drawing or ballpoint pen ink artwork with me. I think all four of those mediums pretty well work the same. Start off lightly, gradually build up your colors or dark areas, sharpen your details and reinforce your line intersections works for me. I like starting off with light colors because darker colors can correct or reshape a picture best for me. 

I blend colors by stacking many different very lightly applied layers. I have no problem with stacking many colors up to thirty, forty or fifty layers deep. I place as little color as possible on top the other layers time and time again. I rotate colors as I go. I'll lay down a color till it looks pretty. Then I lay down another color a top that till that looks pretty. I'll repeat that process till I get something that looks real or complete to me. Stacking colors is based on laying down many light layers of colors. Blending therefore is based on stacking many, many layers of gently laid layers of colors. Cross hatching or changing angles of my line work also works well for me.

Powerful dark rich colors or very sharp contrast really makes a picture feel better. By the way, when I do a blue, red or other solid colored area I stake colors. If I have eight different brands of red ballpoint pens I use all them to produce an area or dark red. I almost never use one color. I pile on eight kinds of reds and pinks to make a dark red. I'll use almost every color I have to make a dark black! Deep rich dark colors are based on many colors. Blending means using many colors in my opinion. Pile on forty levels of light colors instead on five dark ones will produce a pretty color in my artworks.

I hope this statement helps or covered the topic.

Your friend, Jerry Stith   Yes

Jerry Stith

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,185
Points 51,155
Margo5 wrote
on 12 Feb 2010 4:24 PM

Jerry, thank you. This reminds me of some of the colored pencil work that I used to spend hours doing in my younger days. I enjoyed the blending. I have found that I can do that to some extent with my watercolors. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,049
Points 15,060
j.b2 wrote
on 14 Feb 2010 6:53 AM

Thanks Jerry.

I didn't know that anyone could do more than a monocrome drawing with ball point pens..

I real eye opener. Continue to post more of your art if you would...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 15 Feb 2010 8:35 AM

J.B., thanks for your reply. I'm new with this forum and have many more pictures to be posted. Have a blessed day. A ballpoint pen can produce some beautiful artworks in my opinion. cheers, Jerry

Jerry Stith

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote
on 17 Feb 2010 7:04 AM

Jerry Stith

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 8,445
Jerry Stith wrote