Color recipes

This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,331
Points 19,230
Antonin2 wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 2:40 PM

I am working an my color mixing ability and accuracy by doing copies. However I am struggling on this one.

Especially on the big house with the light blue shutters. I cannot get the sunny side nor the shadowy side right.

I tried yellow ocher, white to get a light cream look but it is lacking and the shadowy side I did yellow ocher, white, Prussian blue but it is kind of greenish.

Somebody help ! Thanks.

http://antonin-paintingthemoment.blogspot.com/

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
jfdemartini wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 6:44 PM

try  cadmium  yellow  and  white  for  creamy  look  and  for  your  shadowy  side   try   using   violate   with   yellow  ochre   and /or  cadmium yellow   for  shadowy  side  as  i  don't  know  what  medium  you  are  working  in !!!   by  the  way   violate   is  the  complimentary  of  yellow  !!!  hope  this  works  for  you  !!!

Antonin:

I am working an my color mixing ability and accuracy by doing copies. However I am struggling on this one.

Especially on the big house with the light blue shutters. I cannot get the sunny side nor the shadowy side right.

I tried yellow ocher, white to get a light cream look but it is lacking and the shadowy side I did yellow ocher, white, Prussian blue but it is kind of greenish.

Somebody help ! Thanks.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
jfdemartini wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 6:44 PM

try  cadmium  yellow  and  white  for  creamy  look  and  for  your  shadowy  side   try   using   violate   with   yellow  ochre   and /or  cadmium yellow   for  shadowy  side  as  i  don't  know  what  medium  you  are  working  in !!!   by  the  way   violate   is  the  complimentary  of  yellow  !!!  hope  this  works  for  you  !!!

Antonin:

Somebody help ! Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
jfdemartini wrote
on 15 Jan 2010 6:53 PM

forgot  to  mention  add  a  little   orange  to  your  yellow  and  white   which  should  make  it  creamier  !!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,331
Points 19,230
Antonin2 wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 6:18 PM

Thanks guys ! I work with acrylic. So I tried all the combination that you mention. Sullivan you were dead right about naples yellow and the voilet ! I did some reseach on sisley's palette and find out he used paynes grey. I tried it on it worked !

http://antonin-paintingthemoment.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,185
Points 51,155
Margo5 wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 9:00 PM

Paul, thank you for being willing to share your insight with us. Your website is very impressive. Many of the artists on this site have very impressive websites, but they mainly paint in oils so you have been extremely helpful to those of us who paint in watercolor.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,185
Points 51,155
Margo5 wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 10:15 AM

Paul, the drawing skills definitely show in your paintings. I need to get back to my drawing, but I love color so much that I am constantly drawn to play with my paints to try to understand the way they interact with each other or to study what others have to say about what they have learned about it. The fact that every color in the near vicinity to any color that you apply, as well as the surrounding light that you are working under and the light the painting is shown under, affects the colors that you have applied becomes more and more obvious to me with each day. I am also amazed at how much the eye can be offended by color that is too homogenous (I think I just made up a word -- but heck, it works).

I guess I could try to solve the problem by drawing with colored pencils -- just kidding, I don't think that would be quite the same. Anyway, you have definitely been a help to everyone here in the watercolor forum.

Now, where are my pencil and drawing pad?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
william ben wrote
on 24 Mar 2014 10:54 AM

thanks Antonin2 for this wonderful pic. for better printing service I take service from http://www.digiteksf.com/ . they serve best printing service.you should definitely try.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
CSkeel wrote
on 13 Jun 2014 4:43 AM

Hi Antonin2

I know that you are mixing colors by eye but when you get stuck there are help on my web site where I have a paint mixer you can use for free.

You load your sisley painting, Click on the color you want to mix, choose the colours you have in your set and click GO. A few seconds later the program gives you 3 ways to mix the color.

Here are the link to the system: 

http://sensuallogic.com/paintmaker/OnlinePaintMixer.html

and here are a link to the youtube instruction:

http://youtu.be/ZC5sxnirl-g

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS