VIDEO DEMONSTRATION: Stephen Scott Young

15 Oct 2007

0709youngdemo_460x600 In the 22 years since he was discovered by American Artist magazine, Stephen Scott Young has mounted several museum exhibitions, seen the prices of his paintings skyrocket, and been called a master of watercolor by scholars and critics. Take a peek into his studio and learn about his technique in this demonstration (5:03).

Filed under:

Comments

sandy mcneal wrote
on 12 Sep 2007 2:39 PM
What the heck was he painting?....at that angle and with that lighting...who knows? Thanks for trying!
judy hiam wrote
on 12 Sep 2007 4:48 PM
Very nice work environment, but couldn't see what he was painting. His technique appeared interesting.
MIGUEL DURAN wrote
on 13 Sep 2007 11:59 PM
at least show the freaking painting god
Chris Snedeker wrote
on 15 Sep 2007 5:47 PM
True, it's hard to make out much from this demo, but if you look close enough, you can always learn something.I've seen his work at Surovek- exceptional!
Gary Edwards wrote
on 16 Sep 2007 12:10 AM
I love to paint. I use it to escape. My Son is in Irag for the third time. This man was born to create! Just watch, wonder, feel,and work harder. Go paint and stop whining.
Kathleen Piercefield wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 10:34 AM
Very interesting to see the painter in the working environment he has created. I don't think the point was to see WHAT he was working on -- his confidence with the materials and the intensity of his involvement with the process are the key -- look and learn!
Shirley Russell wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 11:05 AM
It's always interesting to see how someone else creates. I enjoyed seeing an artist's personal environment and his enthusiasm for his work. I do wish the video photographer would have shown us a bit of his painting!
Darlene Pilcher wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 12:06 PM
I enjoyed watching how the painting was happening. It would have been a bonus to see the painting as it was progressing and the finished product.
james wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 1:34 PM
interesting that the narration contradicts a previous interview in which Young says he only uses three primaries to achieve his w/c works. Winsor Blue, Winsor Red and cad yellow, with nary a mention of the casein. Have a well printed Surevek catalog of his in which I can see no use of a casein. As with most artists am sure his palette is just evolving. This also was not a "how to", more of an opaque overview of an artist whom is just about as private as Wyeth, one could not really have expected more! Want to know how he does it? As with Andy...study the work. For those new to him through this five minute smoke signal, now look his stuff up, you will be completely blown away....
Laurel wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 5:51 PM
I am kind of surprised at how little water he uses when painting and that he apparently is not too worried about cleaning the brush other than wiping it. Interesting.
Elise wrote
on 18 Sep 2007 4:16 PM
What in heaven's name was he painting? I believe this video clip is incorrectly labeled as "demonstration". It's proper designation should be that of "studio tour".
Ruth wrote
on 18 Sep 2007 7:31 PM
I could not see the painting? Ruth
Dave Gardner wrote
on 19 Sep 2007 7:52 PM
Do more of this type of demonstration. It is great to hear about an artist, get a glimpse of them creating and see the environment they have chosen to work in. This brings it all home in more ways than one.
J Beerbaum wrote
on 20 Sep 2007 3:45 PM
The way he is painting is lost due to the angles that this video was taped at. What was the object of this video? I really would like to view the way he is layering.
Kathryn Clark wrote
on 20 Sep 2007 11:04 PM
Scott has painted on our Twinrocker handmade paper for many years, and it was thrilling to watch him in action, spinning the paper around, grabbing it to let the paint flow where he wanted it to. James wrote a comment that he never knew he used Casine white. A couple of years ago, he started painting on a tinted, tan colored, Twinrocker paper and so has naturally used more casine white since the paper is not white.
Joel Saperstein wrote
on 1 Oct 2007 2:52 PM
I found the demo interesting..the fact that Young paints quickly..it is more sub-concious rather than deliberate work...it makes for a better piece...I like the limited color pallet...too many colors spoils the mood...
e.d. wrote
on 7 Oct 2007 7:09 PM
I liked watching him paint and it isn't even all that annoying to me that they didn't show what he was painting, the annoying part was that the narration was just the article read verbatem. His stuff is amazing though. I could stare at it for hours.
Gary Edwards wrote
on 11 Oct 2007 9:25 PM
Steve Doherty did the narration I believe and fit the scene perfectly. Seeing and recording. Writing. Another art form I believe. The video taped at some other time was a backdrop into the Artist studio and his technique. Nothing more or less. Energy was the theme. It is what we all wish to feel when we paint, and hope for....Ok, off my soap box.
Lev Garcia wrote
on 19 Oct 2007 2:22 AM
Wow, you should see me tearing a tear, looking your paints in this american artist magazine ..oct Nov 07 I was just watching ,, and really your work touched me deeply ..congratulation...from Cancun Mexico Pardon me ...my simple but sincery comments
willwoff wrote
on 17 May 2012 1:10 PM

im sorry, but the narration states that young uses a 5 color palette and only uses yellow ochre. however,  the 5 minute mark clearly shows him dipping his brush into a yellow and that is NOT yellow ochre. it is much too light. more like a lemon or cadmium?

willwoff wrote
on 19 May 2012 3:10 PM

actually, the timing for my recent post/ observation is wrong, but it is toward the end of the video. also, maybe the yellow has white mixed in? doesn't matter. he obviously could do whatever he wants with whatever colors.

gstudio wrote