DEMONSTRATION: Dale Russell Smith's "Kebler Pass"

16 Jul 2007

0706smitdemo1_600x453View an online exclusive demonstration of Dale Russell Smith's gum arabic technique in Kebler Pass (2:33).

View a gallery of Smith's work.

Filed under:

Comments

Margaret VanDyke wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 11:10 AM
The video would not play and remained greyed out. So disappointed.
bob appleman wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 11:28 AM
It is always nice to see how others create their paintings. I wish I knew some way to archive this in my computer so I could watch it again.
sandra martin wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 12:08 PM
It would be helpful to know what a frisket and gum arabic (?) are. Please explain the use of materials used. Beautiful work!
Lieve CLAES wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 12:37 PM
The video does not show any image. I can just hear him talk... What a pity. Can you do something to remedy this??
Rosemary wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 2:18 PM
On 30 May 2007, Gum Arabic was politically linked by the government of Sudan to Genocide committed in the Darfur region of Africa. In a press conference held at the Washington Press Club on 30 May 2007, John Ukec Lueth Ukec, Sudan's ambassador to the United States, threatened to stop exportation of gum arabic from his country if sanctions were imposed. The sanctions proposed by the United States were a political response from the United States to the alleged connection between the government of Sudan and the Janjaweed militia group. Ukec made his speech surrounded by Coca-Cola products, although other sodas use gum arabic as an emulsfier as well.[4]
DR4lyfe wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 5:24 PM
Gum arabic is also exported by Chad and Nigeria. What exactly are you suggesting, Rosemary?
Peggysue Brady wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 6:56 PM
Beautiful picture. I didn't know that gum arabic would keep the colors from flowing together. An article in your magazine on this would be nice. Most of the "mediums" out there and what they can do or how they are used are a total mystery to beginners like me.
Joe Gutierrez wrote
on 4 Jun 2007 7:09 PM
To answer Sandra Martin: Frisket comes in liquid form and also as a sheet material, used to preserve white paper areas. Gum arabic is used in watercolor paints to give body without affecting transparency. See books on artists' materials & methods. Mark D. Gottsegen is the author of one such work, and Ralph Mayer is another.
Leah Johnson wrote
on 5 Jun 2007 2:16 PM
Here is a link to obtain frisket: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0008024000000
Leah Johnson wrote
on 5 Jun 2007 2:21 PM
When your computer won't play the image or the sound, it is not the fault of the site. Usually, either you have to many applications up (internet, word processing, calenders, calculator, etc.). Close all down except for the internet browser. If that doesn't work, you may have a virus. Run a anti-virus program, or a maintainence program. Sometimes, your anti-virus program is set TOO high for the site, and it is improperly identifying the American Artist site as a virus. You may need to lower the setting of protection down from 'high' to 'medium' or even 'low' while you are watching. Even better, switch to a Mac computer which has next to no viruses - ever.
Terry Mason wrote
on 6 Jun 2007 6:48 AM
Wonderful. I am an oil painter but learned some new ways to handle pines and details. The picture was good for my computer but I could have learned some just from the words.
J Beerbaum wrote
on 7 Jun 2007 11:09 AM
I'm constantly blown away with the detail on today's watercolors;this artist is exceptional in realism and feeling. I never would have believed that watercolor could be so precise. I've always worked in pastel and oil and hope my work is as clear and spectacular as this. I never knew about using gum arabic before as to it's use forkeeping areas separate and it inspires me to try once more and see if I can progress farther than 60% into a watercolor painting without trashing it. Thanks for the inspiration!
j morrison wrote
on 9 Jun 2007 11:41 AM
Great video and I am going to try the gum arabic process. Sounds interesting. I have had students add some watercolor to their liquid frisket to give it color and make it easier to see. It seems to work well.
Peggy Stratton wrote
on 11 Jun 2007 2:33 PM
The video did not play. I could not see anything. Hope you fix this.
Nadine wrote
on 12 Jun 2007 4:14 PM
Does anyone know the source of their gum arabic brand? How do we get some that has nothing to do with Sudan?
Thelma Anderson wrote
on 17 Jul 2007 7:56 PM
Interesting video. Followed the links to his other works and am very impressed with how detailed the paintings were.