En Plein Air: Favorite Landscape Instructors?

12 Feb 2009

Over the last several years workshops have increased in popularity and attendance as artists have found that they can often gain just as strong skill sets and insights by spending one week with an accomplished instructor as they can by taking months or even years of accredited art classes. The lack of solid degree programs for the traditional artist has also forced artists to turn to other methods of education in order to acquire the skills and training they need to paint in a representational style.

All over the country, there are workshop organizations and schools bringing this kind of high-level training to artists by inviting nationally known painters to their area to teach weekend or weeklong workshops, and there are several top painters who independently run their own workshops in various parts of the country and abroad.

I’d be interested to hear about some of the landscape-painting instructors you have taken workshops with over the years and what it was about their instructional approach that helped you. Did you find that after taking the workshops you were able to go back to your studio and apply what was taught? Did their teaching help you progress in your understanding and ability? What makes you choose a certain instructor to study with, and who are some of the landscape instructors you would like to learn from?

T. Allen Lawson (right). Jean LeGassick (left).

Camille Przewodek (at easel).
Kim English (center).

Filed under: , ,

Comments

on 16 Feb 2009 11:44 AM

Morgan Samuel Price is a wonderful plein air landscape instructor.  She really knows her stuff and is able to explain it clearly.  Plus, she has endless patience.  I have taken several workshops and feel like I learn more each class than the one before.  I recommend her as a teacher and her art is fabulous!

Sparkle2 wrote
on 17 Feb 2009 8:04 AM

I am unable to post a comment on a Plein Air Artist Instructor.  perhaps you could post it for me.  I am thrilled with Morgan Samuel Price both as an artist and an instructor.  She has a magical ability to transform even the most humble beginner painter into one with assurance and willingness to learn more.  As an artist, her work is gorgeous!

giotto wrote
on 17 Feb 2009 9:07 AM

My favorite plein air instructor is Morgan Samuel Price. I selected her because her paintings are the most appealing to me and the style I would most like to emulate .Morgan is an experienced teacher and an accomllished artist with a broad knowledge of style and techniques. She can work with any one to enable them to be the artist they want to be.

ritapac wrote
on 19 Feb 2009 8:52 AM

Although I have been attempting painting "en plein air" for a couple of years, up until recently I was only "getting out there" and learning by trial and error.  In January, I  began a weekly class with Robert Watts of the Watts Atelier in Encinitas, California.  I can't express enough how much this has helped me!  Robert Watts is an amazing painter, coming from years of practice as a successful illustrator.  Not only is he chalk full of knowledge and experience, he's great at communicating to his students.  I leave his weekly classes having learned "just one more trick" to add to my repituar.   I believe that the weekly venue works better for me; so that I can put my new found knowledge to practice during the week, and come back a little more prepared for the next class.  I would recommend classes with  Robert Watts to any level of painter.

ritapac wrote
on 19 Feb 2009 8:55 AM

on 19 Feb 2009 9:53 AM

Karen Winslow (Cambridge, VT)  is a wonderful artist and plein air instructor who shares the great tips she learned about painting while she was raising, home-schooling and helping to support (as a working artist) her 5 children. I also love her studio instruction for still life! I hope to join her sometime this year to paint a sunset (when she's not teaching a workshop, she welcomes people to join her for Friday evening sunset sessions).

Ann Randall wrote
on 19 Feb 2009 10:00 AM

Ken Auster's workshop on Cape Cod last October had a major impact on my thinking and on my work.  His clarily and organization of the material he presented was outstanding and most professional and therefore easy to follow and to remember. Ken is an extraordinary painter, a dynamic individual and a superb instructor and his workshop left me on a permanent high.

pmollica wrote
on 19 Feb 2009 4:10 PM

I have taken lots of workshops but have found Camille Przewodek's to be one of the best. She's a supportive, giving and very personable teacher, and takes a genuine interest in each student, making sure they understand her instructions and concepts. In addition, she does at least one demo per day, which is very helpful. Besides being a very generous teacher, shes got the best color palette I've seen. She's my favorite!

on 6 Jul 2013 10:12 PM

it would have to be an instructor that never takes the brush from my hand and puts it to my canvas..that would enrage me