Oil Painting: GALLERY: More of Ken Auster's Oil Paintings

17 Aug 2006

In the October 2006 issue of American Artist, oil painter Ken Auster discussed how he paints in layers to achieve powerful illusions and rich surfaces. In this online exclusive gallery, we present five more of his works.

Austeroe1_447x600_1

Austeroe5_260x265

Austeroe6_600x

Maybe Mañana-Costa Rica
Oil.
Ship to Shore
Oil.

Comments

chris mac kinnon wrote
on 28 Aug 2006 10:04 AM
outstanding to say the least! ...Wonderful examples of relying on mass and value rather than hard edge delination and outline. Fine examples of elevating the everday ordinary to masterful works of vibrant art.
Michael Chesley Johnson wrote
on 29 Aug 2006 11:24 AM
How is it Ken can evoke such light and color with mere paint and brushes?
Eve Thompson wrote
on 2 Sep 2006 12:00 AM
This Ken is a genius to the max!!! such structure and oragnization of values!!!
RitaBrace wrote
on 31 Aug 2007 11:14 PM
I took a workshop with Ken.He was an excellent teacher .He came early and stayed late.My work improved alot thanks to him.
donna Griswold Snowdale wrote
on 9 Sep 2007 5:30 PM
Rita Brace(above) is my teacher. I have learned a lot from her as a result of her taking Ken's workshop and by watching his DVD. When he comes to Southeastern Massachusetts again, I will be taking his workshop, with glee.
on 14 May 2009 11:10 AM

This California artist pursues an aggressive, take-no-prisoners approach to plein air painting. by John

on 25 Sep 2009 9:33 AM

on 1 May 2012 12:04 PM

Eric P. wrote
on 12 Oct 2013 4:47 PM

I paint, I try, I try to make sure everything is correct. Yet his look so detailed with big strokes and yet it in it's looseness is still as detailed as mine. I think I am thinking I can't leave a detail out. I so enjoy his work although it is the first I have seen of it. You can bet there is a new DVD being ordered. I love the ship to shore. This is not my house and the thinker. AMazing stuff. Mad skills.

Eric P. wrote