The Artist Watch List—Are You On It?

18 Dec 2011

In the December/January issue of American Artist magazine, the editors and staff put out feelers throughout the art community to find artists who are established or up and coming, and deserve recognition. They had limited space in the print issue, so I thought to continue the watch list with several artists creating paintings that really have the power and technique to be around for the long run.

Warren Taking Off His Shirt by Jim Herbert, acrylic painting, 150 x 139 Jim Herbert has been putting paint on canvas for a while, creating works that are all about the action that comes with creating a fine art painting. His large-scale acrylic works are painted in a gestural, forceful way. The end results enliven the surface and make how they are painted as intriguing as what is actually depicted. (Warren Taking Off His Shirt by Jim Herbert, acrylic painting, 150 x 139.)
Elizabeth with Ribbon by David Pettibone, oil painting, 2008. David Pettibone has transformed established subject matters and genreswith his unique style, taking on Renaissance portraiture by adding a whimsical twist with the inclusion of peculiar still life objects like watermelon, ribbon, or fish. (Elizabeth with Ribbon by David Pettibone, oil painting, 2008.)
Head as Home by Melanie Vote, oil on panel, 20 x 24, 2010. Melanie Vote creates peculiar paintings of odd dreamscapes or altered landscapes, but her oil painting techniques are incredible. The attention to detail and her commitment to achieving the visual effects she wants are what brought her to our attention and will keep her there. (Head as Home by Melanie Vote, oil on panel, 20 x 24, 2010.)
Equus 1 by Aaron Yamada-Hanff, oil on canvas, 66 x 104, 2011 Aaron Yamada-Hanff challenges the idea that the equestrian portrait is a matter to be dealt with by realism alone. His abstraction of the animal's body and his decision to leave certain parts unpainted does nothing to interfere with the feeling of movement, power, and grace that are provoked by his paintings. (Equus 1 by Aaron Yamada-Hanff, oil on canvas, 66 x 104, 2011.)

There are so many artists out there making amazing artwork, and it is impossible for any one of us know all of what is being produced—but American Artist does a commendable job of delivering top notch coverage of interesting and unique artists in every issue. Your subscription will let you see that for yourself—enjoy!

P.S. So what do you think? Were any of these artists on your radar? And are there any others that you would add? Leave a comment and let me know!

Comments

Sam Holmes wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 7:20 AM

My name is Barbara Fryefield and I am an artist in Jacksonville Florida. Best known for landscapes. I am currently working as a artist in hospitals, and teaching at Reddi Arts. I am writing a book for art teachers.

debbie.philp wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 7:48 AM

Other artists on the radar: Steve Carpenter  www.stevecarpenterstudio.com/

sdaluz wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 9:53 AM

I like Aaron's work.  Have you considered work that is a bit more unique?  I do something I call, "Neo-Luminism".  It is created with composition gold leaf, copper leaf, chemically-induced patinas and oil on panel.  www.stevendaluz.com

I also like the work of David Ochoa...and Alex Kanevsky.

sdaluz wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 9:55 AM

www.stevendaluz.com

I also like Alex Kanevsky and Daniel Ochoa.

Rhonda VP wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 10:50 AM

Michael Baum http://www.michaelbaum.com/ of Manitou Springs, Colorado

and

Deb Komitor http://www.debkomitor.com/ of Colorado Springs.

Two of my artistic heroes!

barjack wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 1:24 PM

Equus 1 by Yamada-Hanff  is magnificent!  This is a painting I would proudly display.

Neil T wrote
on 19 Dec 2011 2:21 PM

Sorry Courtney, There's just something about the far out style that gives me the creeps!  Being a simple recreational artist I prefer the predictable, realist or impressionistic styles. It was the articles focusing on the far out stuff that caused me to give up my subscription to the other artist magazine a few years ago. I'm not saying these styles are not good, they're  just not for me.

CzRoss wrote
on 20 Dec 2011 5:50 PM

Hi Courtney. You should look at janet cook  great interesting whimsical committed painter .  Her details are as follows

janetacook@aol.com

I enjoy your postings and daily notes

Thx czashka ross

KatPaints wrote
on 20 Dec 2011 7:44 PM

Stanka Kordic

jfronza wrote
on 21 Dec 2011 7:33 AM

Look at John Fronza www.coroflot.com/jfronza

lagaleria wrote
on 21 Dec 2011 10:26 AM

I don't know who Debbi Philip is but I do know Steve Carpenter; amazing, phenomenal and incredibly talented artist. To see his paintings up close is indescribable! Not only has he enriched the lives of many local artists, he has enriched the community.

www.stevecarpenterstudio.com

lilianavelez wrote
on 26 Dec 2011 1:26 PM

My name is Liliana Velez, I am a Colombian artist establish in Murfreesboro, TN, I have been working as a portrait and Still-Life painter for the last 15 years, recently I had the opportunity to participate at the Biennale in Florence, Italy.

www.lilianavelezart.com

on 28 Dec 2011 4:47 AM

My series of athletes, painted in oils on linen, show luminous torsos woven

into a grid of gestural drips. The paintings channel a specific personal moment

of profound realisation. each emotive piece explores the range of emotions I

experienced when confronted by my first live boxing match – the cascading drips

of blood and sweat that stained the boxer’s body, the solace and tenacity in the

individual’s gaze. I represent this effect by first applying the white drips, which

take a month to dry. The glowing surface and optical depth of my oil paintings

is obtained through applying numerous translucent and transparent layers of

kinetic brushwork. This method invites contemplation, as oil painting dries very

slowly.

My technique requires I wait for each layer to completely dry before the next

glaze is applied. The resulting fine network of dripped lines optically blends

colours when viewed from a distance and depicts my subjects’ individual colour

temperature. It is in this private place where the depth of each man’s gaze is felt.

The focus is on the human condition, and, like Michelangelo’s David, the resolve

and success of the individual is not dictated by physicality alone. This innovative,

layered technique is the result of 20 years’ professional practice and academic

research.

mjartist wrote
on 9 Jan 2012 12:30 PM

Check out this up and coming artist:

Primarily self taught and residing in the Pacific Northwest, Meridith captures her subjects with the essence of their unique personality. She started taking her art seriously in 2002 and created a memorial drawing for a friend of his horse. From there it was another horse drawing and another and then a dog or two. Facinated by the way light fell across texture, and the interplay of light on color Meridith takes detail to a whole new level.

www.meridithjohnson.com