Free Watercolor Painting Tips and Techniques

1 Feb 2010

It’s often said in sports circles that the best players often make the worst coaches. That’s because it is hard for naturally gifted athletes to relate to players who are not so innately talented. A perfect example of this is former Boston Red Sox outfielder Ted Williams. He is regarded as one of the finest hitters in baseball history, but his short-lived managerial career is considered by most to be largely unsuccessful, due in large part to his admitted impatience with players whose abilities didn’t match his own.

The same issues can arise when exceptionally talented painters find it hard to empathize with struggling art students. That's why I'm eager to bring you our most recent free eBook, Watercolor Lessons on Depth and Luminosity, in which we highlight some of the most vital tips on watercolor painting from artist Ali Cavanaugh.

She often makes the process of painting figures in watercolor seem almost effortless, but she still has the ability to convey the important lessons needed to help almost anyone improve his or her watercolor-painting skills.

Download the free eBook now, and get the expert advice you need to start making more successful watercolor paintings with depth and luminosity today.

Brian Riley
Managing Editor

Comments

SandyCurran wrote
on 1 Feb 2010 8:59 AM

As a brand new subscriber to American Artist.....what a treat!  I am very impressed that before I even received my first issue, I get this wonderful free download.  I wish I had become a subscriber earlier.  Thank you

Margo5 wrote
on 1 Feb 2010 11:06 AM

Thank you for the article and the wonderful e-book on portrait painting in watercolor. The warm-up exercises look great.

on 1 Feb 2010 12:43 PM

Thanks for sharing this eBook, I have been a fan of Janet Rogers for years.  I meet her at a workshop conducted at the Leesburg Art Association and she is an excellent instructor and so willing to share her knowledge.

willwoff wrote
on 3 Feb 2010 6:54 AM

Glad to see this feature on Janet. She is an excellent artist and teacher, as well as a very nice person. Anyone who aspires to paint portraits in watercolor should defintiely seek her out and study with her!

motteb wrote
on 3 Feb 2010 9:08 AM

Can someone tell me where the 23 lessons  step by step lessons are.  All I see is nine pages with several  lovely watercolor paintings, but no real instructions.

Am I missing something?

mackie2 wrote
on 4 Feb 2010 3:19 PM

I love Janet Rogers' watercolor portraits.  They are beautifully fresh / spontaneous - hardly any detail.   Thank you!

anges wrote
on 26 Nov 2011 7:33 AM

Where is the 23 free watercolor lessons for portrait painting ebook ? I get to a 10 lessons one which is not related to Janet Rogers on your link ?

on 29 Nov 2011 7:19 AM

Hi Anges,

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, 23 Watercolor Lessons is no longer available. If we reissue it, I'll be sure to let you know. All best,

Courtney

on 11 Jul 2014 10:22 PM

Thank you for the free lesson on watercolor lessons on depth & luminosity.